Re: Pitinospeak

OK, it's time to pick a few nits...

>From: Michael Gooen <callmebogie@yahoo.com>

>--- Jim McMaster <mcmaster@sweng.stortek.com> wrote:
>
><<Of course, he was wringing his hands over $110-120
>million>>
>
>And we know this how?  Peter Vecsey?  When did Antoine actually come out
>and say "I want Garnett money"?  If I remember correctly, Antoine whined
>about wanting to get a deal done ASAP, but didn't talk $$. Pitino did.

It doesn't matter.  Pitino was worried (not wringing his hands, that's a
sign of eager anticipation), about the possibility.  If Antoine accepted
less all would have been fine and dandy.

><<they had to dump Potapenko.>>
>
>Not sure you can characterize getting a mid-lottery pick as a "dump", even
>in this draft.  But even so, Cleveland had $71M committed to their starting
>center and over $100M committed to their starting power forward.  I don't
>believe the C's have that much money committed to their entire team.

No.  And the Celtics wouldn't have to "dump" Mercer either if his contract
demands are too high.  In fact, they could probably get a player and a draft
pick for him.  And, with regards to the Celtics commitments, they have fewer
of their assets locked up, that's true, but it means they have more
contracts left to negotiate.

>Of course, they will.  That's the way the NBA labor market's moving,
>and the owners knew it when they signed the last CBA.  If Gaston & Co.
>can't handle it, let them sell now to an owner who can.  Sure, it's
>outrageous to charge $70/ticket for decent seats, but it's obscene to do it
>and simultaneously cry poverty instead of putting together a
>product worth watching.

OK, so most teams have roughly the same payroll to deal with, give or take 5
or 10 million dollars.  So it's the teams that can sign the most talent for
that money that will do the best.  Makes it crutial not to overpay for
players with skills that are not hard to find.  Nothing against Ron, but he
hasn't shown anything that unique to me.

>Let's throw it open to all of the GM wannbes out there.  If you're not
>willing to pay Ron Mercer, who will you get -- or do you think that
>getting rid of Ron would be addition by subtraction?  Are you THAT >sure
>you want to move Pierce to the 2?  Are you going to give Minor more
>minutes?  If you're not willing to pay Battie, where will you get
>another 6'11" leaper?  Or do you think that somehow McCarty can >fill that
>role for his $8M over 3 years?  I already know Ray wants to >go out and get
>(at least) half the Clippers' roster, but I'd be curious to
>hear how the folks who aren't sold on Mercer and Battie would upgrade the
>team.
>
>Michael Gooen

My opinion is that I want to keep them both.  The only way I don't think it
will happen is if Mercer asks for too much.  I have no idea how much is too
much.  If that happens, it shouldn't be too hard to get equal value for him.

Jim