Re: Pitinospeak

In message <19990505193703.17726.rocketmail@web306.yahoomail.com>, Michael
Gooe
n said:

> --- Jim McMaster <mcmaster@sweng.stortek.com> wrote:
>
> <<Of course, he was wringing his hands over $110-120
> million>>
>
> And we know this how?  Peter Vecsey?  When did Antoine actually come
> out and say "I want Garnett money"?  If I remember correctly, Antoine
> whined about wanting to get a deal done ASAP, but didn't talk $$.
> Pitino did.

And you assume Pitino was lying about that?  Under the old CBA, $110-120
million was Walker's market value, and we all know it.  If Pitino thought he
could sign Walker for $71 million under the old rules, then he should be
fired for being crazy, not for lying.

> <<they had to dump Potapenko.>>
>
> Not sure you can characterize getting a mid-lottery pick as a "dump",
> even in this draft.  But even so, Cleveland had $71M committed to their
> starting center and over $100M committed to their starting power
> forward.  I don't believe the C's have that much money committed to
> their entire team.

They dumped a really good young center for a hustling, but not-very-talented
player and a draft pick which is not likely to get them anyone nearly as good
as Potapenko.  Yes, I would characterize that as a salary dump.

> Of course, they will.  That's the way the NBA labor market's moving,
> and the owners knew it when they signed the last CBA.  If Gaston & Co.
> can't handle it, let them sell now to an owner who can.

Like who?  The Nuggets just sold for $180 million.  Do you know anyone with
that kind of loose change in Boston?  Remember, they also need to have the
cash flow to run the team after that.  An alternative would be a media
conglomerate, but they really seem to only want teams in New York and Los
Angeles.

Gaston may not be the best owner, but name a better candidate.

> Sure, it's
> outrageous to charge $70/ticket for decent seats, but it's obscene to
> do it and simultaneously cry poverty instead of putting together a
> product worth watching.

Believe it or not, ticket prices have nothing to do with salary.  They have
to do with the amount customers are willing to shell out for seats.  If you
don't believe me, read an Economics textbook.

> Let's throw it open to all of the GM wannbes out there.  If you're not
> willing to pay Ron Mercer, who will you get -- or do you think that
> getting rid of Ron would be addition by subtraction?  Are you THAT sure
> you want to move Pierce to the 2?  Are you going to give Minor more
> minutes?  If you're not willing to pay Battie, where will you get
> another 6'11" leaper?  Or do you think that somehow McCarty can fill
> that role for his $8M over 3 years?  I already know Ray wants to go out
> and get (at least) half the Clippers' roster, but I'd be curious to
> hear how the folks who aren't sold on Mercer and Battie would upgrade
> the team.

I always hesitate to get into specific comments on the team personnel.
Living in Colorado, I rarely get to see them play...just once this year.
Based on what I can glean, though, I would rather see the team kept basically
intact for next season.  On specific players, based on limited observation
over the past few seasons:

Pitino - Like it or not, he is here to stay as long as he wants.  His
contract is simply too big for the team to eat.  I have doubts that he was
the right choice, but it is done now.  I have no problem with his general
pattern of bringing in lots of people and quickly shipping out those who
don't fit.  That is the only way to get lucky...pan a lot of sand to find the
occasional piece of gold.  I don't think his system will work in the long
run, though.  I will admit he knows a lot more about basketball than I ever
will, and we have no choice other than to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Anderson - I would like to see him after a training camp.  I have never
really liked his game all the way back to Georgia Tech, but he has talent.
If he can play a disciplined game, he is talented enough to carry this team a
long way.

Mercer - I simply have not seen him enough.  He was great in college, and I
think he could be a really good SG in the NBA, but never a superstar.  He
just does not shoot well enough.

Pierce - Again, he was great in college, and I think in a couple of years he
will be an all-star.  A definite keeper at SF, but not at SG.  I don't think
he is quick enough.

Walker - I have seen him play three times, and have never been impressed, but
I know the sample size is too small.  By all accounts, if he could harness
his talent, he would be a great player.  I don't know if he has it in him to
do that, though.  He has to be "THE MAN", or he cannot play a lick.  His
shooting percentage is really bad for the number of inside shots he takes.
Still, now that he has his "THE MAN" contract, he will be on the Celtics.  If
he turns into the player he could be, the team will be fine.  If not, they
are toast for at least seven years.  That is the problem with the current
contract system.  A team has to make this type of commitment before the
player has shown whether he is worth it.

Potapenko - I have never seen him play.  No comment one way or another.  He
seems to be the anointed center for now.

Battie - In Denver, he was asked to play center, and well, El Busto applied
nicely.  If he can add some muscle and learn to really play the post at both
ends, he has a lot of potential at PF, but I don't think he can play center.

Barros - I have always thought he was a short SG.  A bit player on a good
team, but never a starter and never a PG.

Minor - Another player I have not seen much.  Apparently, he is a decent, if
overpaid backup.  I think he has the potential to be more than that but is
not likely to ever reach it.  Yes, I believe he could be a decent starter if
given the chance.

McCarty - A total loss.  Lucky to be a twelfth-man on an NBA team.

Bowen - See McCarty.

As for the rest, I don't know enough to even hazard a guess.

With current personnel, I could envision:

a C/PF rotation of Potapenko/Battie/Walker
a SF/SG rotation of Pierce/Walker/Mercer/Minor
a PG rotation of Anderson/Barros (or someone else)

In sum, I think the top eight players might end up being a really good team
if they are left alone for a few years.  I don't know if the fans and
management (meaning Pitino) have the patience to let that happen.  The
biggest risk is whether Walker will grow into that contract.  Second is
whether Anderson can discipline his game.  If both those things happen, the
Celtics should be fine.  If not, they are a lottery team for the next ten
years, no matter who owns the team or who coaches it.

At some point, the merry-go-round has to stop, or the team will never get
better.  It is fine to cycle through fringe players, but at some point Pitino
has to say, "This is my core.  Let them play."  He already has four players
(Walker, Anderson, Barros, Minor) who are not tradeable, and three more
(Pierce, Battie, Potapenko) who are cheap compared to their performance.  If
anyone can be traded, it would be Mercer, and I think it is unlikely he would
fetch more than he is worth.

Sorry for the length.  I don't usually post much, but end-of-season seems to
be a good time to get it out of my system.
--
Jim McMaster
mailto:mcmaster@sweng.stortek.com