Re: Pitino Changes Tune

j.hironaka@unesco.org wrote:

> This probably means Pitino has changed his mind yet again on Battie.
> Last week Battie had the tools to guard even a small forward like Grant
> Hill. Then Pitino ridicules a reporter's suggestion by saying Battie
> can't start because of his weak defense.

I'm not sure this is true.  I think it's more of an Antoine-specific
issue, where Pitino has finally realized Walker isn't a power forward.
Something, a lot of us have been pointing out since Antoine's been here.
As far as Battie goes, should there be a trade for a power forward, he
could
be in the deal with Mercer or relegated to the bench.  So, I believe
Pitino's comments to be an affirmation of Walker's future role with the
team, not necessarily an endorsement of Battie.

 > I think it is imperative for the second unit to add a steady scorer,
> whether it be a Mercer, Pierce or someone else.

Pitino has already pooh-poohed the idea of bringing one of the young
stars
off the bench.  Of course, he's prone to changing his mind, but the
scorer
coming off the bench may be whatever Clipper the C's receive in return
for
Kenny Anderson, possibly Rodney Rogers, who I think is playing well as
of
late.

I believe that you'll see one of the young players dealt rather than be
the next great sixth man...

I also think it's
> evident that Battie and Vitaly can play well together in the starting
> lineup. As for Battie's defense, guarding most power forwards is not the
> same as guarding a big center, so there isn't sufficient evidence to
> call him a flop. IMHO, he'll work out just fine as a starting power
> forward in the NBA.  I feel we wasted his time (and our time) by forcing
> him to exclusively play backup center.

Well it will be Battie or some other power forward.  There's 96 minutes
of playing time at the C - PF, that could be divided in three ways,
so bringing Battie off the bench backing up Potapenko and Power Forward
X,
might not be a bad thing.

> The Celts running system can profit from a true shot blocker and fourth
> rebounder in the starting lineup (along with Vitaly, Pierce and Antoine)
> especially a guy who doesn't necessarily look to score but will dunk any
> missed shot he retrieves with great authority (hey, our starters miss a
> lot of shots after all).
>
> Viva El Busto!

Or Viva whatever Power Forward's acquired in a Mercer trade.
Ray