Re: Pitino Changes Tune

Way Of The Ray wrote:

> At one time, Pitino wanted Antoine to develop
> a Karl Malone-esque body, but as is so often the
> case with Il Duce, that has done a 180.  Now
> according to Michael Holley in today's Globe,
> Pitino wants Walker to be more like Scottie
> Pippen in stature, something Walker apparently
> prefers as he "didn't like Pitino's previous Karl
> Malone suggestion..."
>
> So, for those of you out there with fantasies
> of Walker bulking up and playing the power
> forward position - forget about it.  Walker
> is heading to the 3 - probably to toss up a
> lot of threes.
> Ray

This probably means Pitino has changed his mind yet again on Battie.
Last week Battie had the tools to guard even a small forward like Grant
Hill. Then Pitino ridicules a reporter's suggestion by saying Battie
can't start because of his weak defense.

I think it is imperative for the second unit to add a steady scorer,
whether it be a Mercer, Pierce or someone else. I also think it's
evident that Battie and Vitaly can play well together in the starting
lineup. As for Battie's defense, guarding most power forwards is not the
same as guarding a big center, so there isn't sufficient evidence to
call him a flop. IMHO, he'll work out just fine as a starting power
forward in the NBA.  I feel we wasted his time (and our time) by forcing
him to exclusively play backup center.

The Celts running system can profit from a true shot blocker and fourth
rebounder in the starting lineup (along with Vitaly, Pierce and Antoine)
especially a guy who doesn't necessarily look to score but will dunk any
missed shot he retrieves with great authority (hey, our starters miss a
lot of shots after all).

Viva El Busto!

Joe

p.s. Let's urgently chain mail Dan Forant's "Three Diamonds Offense"
(thanks Jim M.) attachment to all the basketball mailing lists out
there. I think he's on to something.  :-)