Re: Ricky's reputation is on the line now.

> Subject: Ricky's reputation is on the line now.
> Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 08:13:18 -0300
> From: damekmo@teleport.com
> To: celtics@igtc.com
>
> >Ray
> >Who believes that Mercer, Anderson, and Battie
> >are the three Celtics most likely to be traded
> >in this off-season.
>
> So...do you all trust Ricky to make the right moves, to trade these players
> and still "upgrade" the team?

I would say the possibility for upgrade is viable.  Anderson is a
washout, so
anyone in return, who has less years on their contract is an
improvement.
Battie is a bench player, and won't be seeing much playing time if the
C's acquire a quality power forward.  I think Walker has to be moved to
small forward and Pierce to shooting guard, and I don't see Mercer
coming
off the bench, so dealing him in a package with Battie could pay quality
dividends.  I understand the Knicks would like to move out Larry Johnson
who has two years and $24 million left on his contract.  That might be a
possible deal: Anderson and cap crap for Johnson.

Pitino's smart enough to know that this so
> called late season "success" means nothing.

I would agree with that.

That over an 82 game schedule,
> unless he makes some moves, he's going to see last night's performance more
> often than not.

Quite probable, if the current Celtics roster remains intact for next
season.
Battie and Walker can't defend the 4; the same goes for Anderson and
Mercer
at 1 and 2.

 Perhaps you don't agree. Perhaps you're right...but only
> "perhaps" and unfortuantely, another year out of the playoffs is absolutely
> out of the question. Remember, next year is Ricky's "guaranteed playoff
> year." Pitino's reputation as a winner is on the line now. The stakes have
> gotten a little higher, so is "perhaps" good enough for Ricky?

Pitino has to make the playoffs next season or he'll spontaneously
combust.

You know
> he's making some moves this summer. Look at his problem at point guard: He
> can't afford to take a chance on Anderson. He can't afford to wait any
> longer hoping that Anderson works out. I think we can safely assume Kenny
> won't be starting next year. Does anybody trust Anderson to sit quietly and
> happily on the bench if Pitino can't move him?

No, Kenny is a cancer that must be exercised for someone else's cancer
with
a shorter term contract.  See Larry Johnson.

It seems to me that the only
> way you move Anderson, and get "quality" in return, is if you package him
> with a player who has "upside.".

Or find a team desperate for a point guard with poor managerial types
running
the show: The Clippers for example.

 Mercer? Battie? Does he trade for a point
> to start ahead of Barros, because Pitino's smart enough to know that an
> entire career as a "small two" means more than a few games as a
> "surprisingly effective point?" He can't let Barros guide the team during
> the "guarantee" year...can he? Wayne Turner?

Wayne Turner has a leg up on other rookies in that he knows Pitino's
system.  A guy like Chris Herren who's been through a lot and has
four years of college experience may have the maturity to quickly
grasp the system.  The same for Andre Miller.

The youth excuse won't fly
> anymore because...next year is the year of no more excuses. The pressure's
> on now, and to be honest guys, I don't trust Ricky to pull this one off. I
> think we're in for a multi-player/multi-team blockbuster that really shakes
> this roster up. If any of you think Ricky's been too impatient so far.... I
> did notice that Jerry West was mentioned in Uncle Peter's column today. A
> few well spent millions and I think we'd all feel that the franchise was
> finally in competent hands. It can't happen? It won't happen? Pitino won't
> let it happen?

No chance in hell as long as Pitino is here.  Talk about an ego dump.

 If Ricky screws this one up, and they're in the lottery
> again next year, you think Pitino will make it to year four?

Like Humpty Dumpty, it'll will be awhile before the pieces fit again,
if Pitino fails.  You're talking about a new coach and new system and
a new GM and a new scouting staff.  It'll be like one of those Russian
five year
plans that lasted fifty years.
Ray

He jumps ship