Ricky's reputation is on the line now.

>Ray
>Who believes that Mercer, Anderson, and Battie
>are the three Celtics most likely to be traded
>in this off-season.

So...do you all trust Ricky to make the right moves, to trade these players
and still "upgrade" the team? Pitino's smart enough to know that this so
called late season "success" means nothing. That over an 82 game schedule,
unless he makes some moves, he's going to see last night's performance more
often than not. Perhaps you don't agree. Perhaps you're right...but only
"perhaps" and unfortuantely, another year out of the playoffs is absolutely
out of the question. Remember, next year is Ricky's "guaranteed playoff
year." Pitino's reputation as a winner is on the line now. The stakes have
gotten a little higher, so is "perhaps" good enough for Ricky? You know
he's making some moves this summer. Look at his problem at point guard: He
can't afford to take a chance on Anderson. He can't afford to wait any
longer hoping that Anderson works out. I think we can safely assume Kenny
won't be starting next year. Does anybody trust Anderson to sit quietly and
happily on the bench if Pitino can't move him? It seems to me that the only
way you move Anderson, and get "quality" in return, is if you package him
with a player who has "upside.". Mercer? Battie? Does he trade for a point
to start ahead of Barros, because Pitino's smart enough to know that an
entire career as a "small two" means more than a few games as a
"surprisingly effective point?" He can't let Barros guide the team during
the "guarantee" year...can he? Wayne Turner? The youth excuse won't fly
anymore because...next year is the year of no more excuses. The pressure's
on now, and to be honest guys, I don't trust Ricky to pull this one off. I
think we're in for a multi-player/multi-team blockbuster that really shakes
this roster up. If any of you think Ricky's been too impatient so far.... I
did notice that Jerry West was mentioned in Uncle Peter's column today. A
few well spent millions and I think we'd all feel that the franchise was
finally in competent hands. It can't happen? It won't happen? Pitino won't
let it happen? If Ricky screws this one up, and they're in the lottery
again next year, you think Pitino will make it to year four? He jumps ship
and who's left to pick up the pieces? It's time for this franchise to stop
betting on people who have little or no NBA experience (Ricky have any
experience as GM before this?). Before Pitino fouls this one up, let's get
him some competent help.

Paul M.