Re: Victory in Charlotte

Joe,

Thanks for the note and comments. The only point I'd dispute is Walker's
status as a "shooter". I should have clarified what I meant by shooter,
that is, someone who is consistent with their shot. I'd say that Walker is
certainly a scorer, even though he is not a shooter in the sense that he
has a highly reliable jump-shot. He has better range than Potapenko,
Anderson, or even Mercer, but is less consistent within his given range
than the other starters. The comment wasn't meant as a knock on Walker
(keep practicing that wiggle!) but just as an assessment of his skills; I
liken him to Pippen in the combination of great range and inconsistency
with his shot. Like Pippen, he also does so many other things well. It's
those other things we need to see more of since we've got plenty of people
who under the right circumstances can really fill it up.

By the way, in talking about Walker's shot selection, I've always wondered
why he doesn't take his man off the dribble from the perimeter more often.
His assist to Kenny on the three that clinched the game last night was
generated off just this type of play, and I would think he would have a
much easier time picking apart opposing defenses with passes when driving
to the hoop than he does with his back to the basket. Walker is typically
facing someone bigger, stronger, and slower than himself and attempting to
post up maximizes such opponents' advantages. I know - a post-up move is
less frustrating to watch than seeing him jack up a three with 20 seconds
on the shot-clock - but if you reflect on the percentages Walker's post-up
game does not really produce that many good shots (aside from the
occasional highlight reel slam).

Walker's percentages when one subtracts three point shot attempts and makes
are as follows:

1999: 43.2%
1997-98 44.7%
1996-97: 43.8%.

These numbers should not be surprising given the aforementioned size
differential between him and his typical opponent. Playing 'Toine out on
the perimeter not only allows him to take his (bigger, slower) man off the
dribble and makes him available for shot-clock-running-down heaves (only
Dana does it better), it also draws a big man away from the hoop,
unclogging the lane for Pierce, Mercer, and Kenny to penetrate or Potapenko
to wreck some havoc. Potapenko, by the way, has some nice post moves and
Mercer, given his height, should be able to abuse opposing SGs in the
paint, so Walker should no longer be the sole option in the post.

As for the "best wishes" crack -- you're a cancer!  ;{>

- TomM