Re: Victory in Charlotte

Hi folks,

  I've been far too busy the last 2 weeks to say anything on this list,
and it's just as well because there hasn't been much good to say, and I
don't like being a whiner.  I'm very encouraged by the Celtics play in
the last 3 games.  Since that "lunch" that Pitino gave the players in place
of a practice, the Celtics have 2 well-played road wins and one well-played
home loss to Indiana.  Maybe it was just enough of a psychological break to
refresh the players mentally and get them out of their negative thinking
patterns.

  The timing of these road wins couldn't be better.  The Celtics are now
going to play 3 straight home games for the first time this season.  The
Celtics have played much better at home than on the road, and much better
on national TV than not.  The young players seem to only get motivated if
they're "on stage".  Whatever the case, the young guys needed to be in the
right frame of mind to take advantage of the upcoming home games.  If they
had continued losing, there was a chance the negativity and lost confidence
would carry over into the homestand.  Now, the Celtics are poised to run
off a winning streak, and build some confidence that could carry over into
future road trips.

Thomas Murphy said:
> Walker in particular deserves credit, finally showing that he DOES have the
> ability to distinguish between a good and bad shot attempt. Many people
> have been after Walker for taking untimely three pointers, but any true
> index of his poor shot selection would have to include the many times in
> the past when he has forced up a shot resembling a shot-put attempt when
> double- or even triple-teamed in the post. Again, to his credit, by my
> count he only did this one time last night. Whatever the reason, Walker was
> unbelievably unselfish - particularly in the first quarter when he
> attempted only one shot (a wide-open three, which he drained). For those of
> us looking for improvement in Walker's game, last night was a far more
> hopeful development than the gaudier numbers he posted in Cleveland or
> against Indiana. And it's about time, since if one stops to think about it,
> Walker is probably the fifth best shooter out of the starting five, even if
> one excludes his three-pointers. Now let's hope this trend continues.

You're right on the money about Walker, Thomas!  The garbage shots against
double and triple teams when he should be passing to open teammates are
even worse than the quick 3's against pressure.  Last night he was passing
out of the pressure, including the play with less than 2 minutes to go
where Wesley came over to double team Antoine on the baseline and Walker
kicked it over to Anderson who hit a wide-open 3 pointer to put the Celtics
up by 8 and finally ice the game.

Also, Walker took only 1 quick 3 last night out of the 5 he attempted, and
that one was one he was correct in taking... Anderson pushed the ball up,
the entire defense collapsed to stop him from penetrating and cover the
passing lanes, and Walker was the trailer, so Kenny kicked it back to him
for a wide open 3.  That's the ONLY time to take a quick 3!

Jon Mc