Re: Pollyanna views

"John @ Nancy Heydt" wrote:

> I have been a Celtic's fan since the late 40's and have seen many Celtic
> teams.  (cut...) Presently this team is playing with no confidence.   Even
> though I can
> understand why people at the Fleet Center boo I feel that what these players
> need now is for cheers of encouragement.   Antoine definately could use some
> positive cheers.   He's trying like hell to make something happen (at least
> in the TWolves game) as are the rest of the team.    I know if I were
> playing poorly it would sure help if my home town fans were cheering for
> instead of booing at every mistake.
> I cannot recall another time in the Celtics history like this and it sure is
> painful to endure.  However, I feel confident that this team and coach will
> right the ship.  I don't know if it will be this season but I'm confident it
> will happen.

When I read posts like this and others, it reminds me I'm part of a mailing list
where there are, by definition, no "fair weather fans". Even a guy like Dan
Forant -- who predicted a lot of wins for this team -- still gives enough of a
damn to take the time to share his disappointment and his concerns. Even Greg
Ode takes the time, although he might want to take a little extra time to run an
occasional spell check (I hope he knows I'm just kidding).

Sometimes I think this team has been intentionally losing in order to send a
message to some of us (me for example) to spend a little more time on our
families and careers, instead of rooting for a basketball team thousands of
miles away. I think I might try to take a few weeks off from the list, although
I made the same pledge to myself last weekend also. At my age, it's embarrassing
how hard I can still take a regular season loss. I guess I'd take these losses
hard even if there was no Internet and for all I knew I was the only Celtics fan
left in the universe. It makes it easier, though, knowing there are all these
other basically normal people out there who -- like moi -- will remember this
bloody month of March as vividly as the good days in the past and those that can
come in the future. The Celtics are a great thing. I actually really love them.
I've never really had any real-life friends that shared this or were even aware
of it, except maybe my sister Eko.

I'm not going to even proof-read this because it's probably a little sappy and
dumb. Sorry folks.