Akron Beacon Journal - DeClercq Outduels Potapenko

[Newswire][Click here for a chance to win an Oreck Tabletop Air Cleaner!]
[Ad Info]

[Image]

   TODAY'S SPORTS | INDIANS | PLUTO | BROWNS | OSU | AEROS | PREP | WSOG |
 FORUMS
   7-DAY ARCHIVE: MONDAY | TUESDAY | WEDNESDAY | THURSDAY | FRIDAY |
 SATURDAY | SUNDAY
 Sports FanCenter: Home Page | NBA
[Site Map]
[Search Ohio.com]
[Send us mail]     --------------------------------------------------------
[Questions]
[Back Home]        Cavs get win in battle, as well as war
[Image]
[jobhunter]       * DeClercq outduels Potapenko as traded players meet.
                   Even Boykins plays in 113-86 rout of Celtics
[Ad Index]

    ----------     BY CHRIS TOMASSON
    Published      Beacon Journal staff writer
    Wednesday,
 March 24, 1999,   Yes, the Andrew DeClercq-Vitaly Potapenko battle in the
   in the Akron    pivot held their attention. But the fans last night at
 Beacon Journal.   Gund Arena got most worked up about a little guy.
    ----------
                   Midway through the fourth period, the chants started:
The Ohio Directory ``We want Earl. We want Earl.'' The fans were calling
Search for         for the Cavaliers' 5-foot-5 guard Earl Boykins, the
Ohio-based Web     second-shortest player in NBA history.
Sites
                   Boykins finally was inserted into the game with 4:27
                   left, and he put the exclamation point on a resounding
                   113-86 win over the Boston Celtics. In the final
                   minute, he dribbled around as the shot clock wound
                   down, then nailed a 15-foot jumper over 7-2 Dwayne
                   Schintzius.

                   ``No matter how small you are, it's the size of your
                   heart that matters,'' said Cavs forward Shawn Kemp.

                   All the Cavs had hearts last night. Virtually every
                   player who brought a uniform had a big game.

                   Six players were in double figures, with guard Wesley
                   Person's 19 and Kemp's 17 leading the way. Forward
                   Corie Blount had 11 points and 11 rebounds as the Cavs'
                   bench outscored the Boston reserves 51-25.

                   The Celtics (8-16) never were in the game after falling
                   behind by 16 points at halftime, but the fans weren't
                   going anywhere.

                   Not with the Cavs (13-11) running and dunking as if
                   this were a game out of the 1970s.

                   Not with the thought that Boykins would get into the
                   game.

                   Not with reserves such as Mitchell Butler and Bob Sura
                   driving in for reverse layups against what Boston coach
                   Rick Pitino called ``humiliating defense.''

                   And not with DeClercq looking like the second coming of
                   Gus Johnson.

                   Many thought the Cavs had acquired a land-locked player
                   when Potapenko was traded to Boston March 11 for
                   DeClercq and a first-round draft choice. Hardly.

                   DeClercq had five dunks, two coming on alley-oop
                   passes. In 22 minutes, he had 16 points, one shy of his
                   career high.

                   ``My legs are starting to come back,'' DeClercq said.
                   ``I'm starting to get more comfortable (with the
                   Cavs).''

                   DeClercq didn't predict victory in his duel with
                   Potapenko. In fact, with draws being chic these days,
                   it would be appropriate to call this meeting a draw:
                   Potapenko had 10 points and 12 rebounds in a solid 34
                   minutes.

                   ``I just tried to win the game and tried to help get
                   the W, but we couldn't do it,'' Potapenko said. ``It
                   was strange (coming back to Cleveland). But once the
                   game started, there was nothing real strange.''

                   Frontcourt mate Antoine Walker helped Potapenko out
                   with 22 points and nine rebounds. But the rest of the
                   members of Boston's gang of green looked as if they had
                   gangrene.

                   And after watching the Cavs shoot 58.4 percent for the
                   game, Pitino's face was red.

                   ``I've seen the Washington Generals play defense better
                   than that,'' said Pitino, whose team lost for the ninth
                   time in 10 games. ``There reaches a point, though, I
                   won't be humiliated.

                   ``Yes, it's all well and good that next year is next
                   year, but I'm going to watch this film and if people
                   are humiliating the Boston Celtics . . . they're not
                   going to play anymore. It's as simple as that . . .
                   I've reached my breaking point.''

                   ``I told (the team) that I could get a CBA team to play
                   better than they are playing on the defensive end. I
                   really believe that. I really believe that I can take a
                   CBA team and win more games than these guys.''

                   Well, Boykins has spent most of the season in the CBA,
                   and after being let go by the Cavs last Friday, he was
                   ready to rejoin Rockford for the league playoffs. Then
                   yesterday, the Cavs signed him to a second 10-day
                   contract.

                   ``I heard the fans,'' Boykins said. ``I was very
                   appreciative. It's great to have a chance to play in
                   front of family and friends and with a great
                   organization like this.''

                   Maybe it was in doubt who won a certain matchup between
                   6-foot-10 players. As for those in the 5-5 division, it
                   was no contest.

                   Go to the index page for this article

                                Top of page

                  Site Index | Search | Mail | FAQ | Home