Michael Holley: Pitino Enraged; Says He's Not Living Up To His Abilities

                                [The Boston Globe Online][Boston.com]
                                [Boston Globe Online / Sports]

                                CAVALIERS 113, CELTICS 86
                                Defenseless

                                This Celtic effort downright offensive to
                                enraged Pitino

                                By Michael Holley, Globe Staff, 03/24/99

                                CLEVELAND - The experiment lasted a
                                little more than 48 hours. On
                                Sunday, Rick Pitino said he would try to
                                be Cool Hand Rick. He couldn't do it.

                                As of last night, Pitino is now the
                                angriest man in the business. He said his
                                team pushed him to his breaking point. He
                                said he could take a CBA team and make it
                                better than the current Celtics. And, the
                                coach promised, if he sees another
                                performance similar to the most recent one
                                at Gund Arena, his players will be unhappy
                                as well. Not to mention unemployed.

                                It took a while for Pitino to gather
                                himself and speak. Immediately after the
                                Cavaliers put on a Dunk/Layup Festival in
                                their 113-86 win over the Celtics, Pitino
                                went to the visiting coach's office here
                                and slammed the door. He stayed there for
                                a while, his head down, staring at a
                                wretched box score. When he emerged
                                several minutes later, he appeared to be
                                as depressed as he's ever been in his two
                                seasons as Celtics coach.

                                ''I tried to stay positive and upbeat,''
                                he said, ''but that's humiliating defense.
                                I've seen the Washington Generals play
                                better defense than that.''

                                He didn't come close to cracking a smile
                                when he compared his team to the ragged
                                bunch that the Harlem Globetrotters used
                                to abuse. The Celtics were that bad.

                                ''I told the team that I haven't raised my
                                voice this year,'' said Pitino. ''And I
                                understand the lockout has prevented us
                                from teaching the little things of the
                                game. There reaches a point, though, where
                                I won't be humiliated. I'm going to watch
                                this film, and if people are humiliating
                                the Boston Celtics, they will not start
                                [today] or [today] is their last day.
                                They're not going to play anymore. It's as
                                simple as that. I've reached my breaking
                                point and I think even Dr. Norman Vincent
                                Peale would have cracked a long time
                                ago.''

                                Pitino knew he didn't need to see any
                                doctors last night. You don't need an M.D.
                                to understand that when a team shoots 58
                                percent against you, you lose. But it was
                                more than the percentage. The Celtics gave
                                up dunks and layups. The Cavs scored more
                                than half of their points - 62 of them -
                                inside the paint. Which is to say they
                                dunked all night. Former Celtic Andrew
                                DeClercq looked like a young Julius
                                Erving, making seven field goals. Four of
                                them were dunks. The other three were
                                layups.

                                That's all anyone in Cleveland could talk
                                about afterward, the non-defense of the
                                Celtics. That annoyed the coach. He hates
                                to be embarrassed that way.

                                ''I've reached my breaking point,'' he
                                repeated. ''And it won't go beyond
                                [tonight]. If we lose, we're going to lose
                                fighting with the people that want to
                                fight and not, `If I get my points, I will
                                play defense ...'

                                ''Everybody is going to think of team,
                                winning defense. If they don't want to
                                think of that, they can sit there and
                                watch the other guys do it. It's not one
                                person. It's a bunch of people.''

                                The more you heard Pitino speak, the more
                                you thought that he somehow regretted
                                leaving the University of Kentucky and
                                signing a 10-year, $50 million contract
                                with the Celtics in May 1997. The first
                                six years of that contract, at $7 million
                                per season, are for president/coach
                                Pitino. The last four years are for
                                president Pitino. That's the way Chairman
                                of the Board Paul Gaston structured the
                                contract. But Pitino sounded as if he
                                didn't want a part of it. He didn't say
                                that. This is what he did say:

                                ''You get what you deserve in life, and we
                                deserved the thump beating. I'm glad we
                                got booed the other night because we
                                deserved it. The only thing I feel
                                terrible about is the fact that Paul
                                Gaston had to bring me in here to show the
                                Boston Celtics that [type of discouraging
                                atmosphere]. I feel bad that he had to
                                sign me to that type of contract because
                                I'm not living up to my abilities, either.
                                I feel bad for the Gaston family and
                                Celtic fans.''

                                Maybe you're wondering what caused the
                                coach to ramble this way. Answer: The
                                game. The Celtics were in it briefly. But
                                they couldn't guard anybody. They didn't
                                shoot so well, either. It was their ninth
                                consecutive loss on the road, four away
                                from the team record set in 1979. Last
                                night, they were so bad that Pitino
                                cleared his bench late in the third
                                quarter. He called his team's lack of
                                defense a ''disease.''

                                ''I told them I could get a CBA team to
                                play better than they are on the defensive
                                end,'' he said. ''I really believe that. I
                                really believe that I can take a CBA team
                                and win more games than these guys, off
                                their defense. Or lack of defense. There
                                is absolutely no pride in defense at
                                all.''

                                Offense and free throw shooting were
                                problems last night as well. But the coach
                                didn't get into that. That's a monologue
                                for another time.

                                ''We're not even able to contain a man off
                                a simple screen or a simple dribble,'' he
                                said. ''We're not talking about Allen
                                Iverson here. I give credit to the
                                Cavaliers, but we're not talking about
                                Allen Iverson moves.''

                                It's interesting that the coach mentioned
                                the 76ers point guard. Because after
                                tonight's game against the Timberwolves,
                                the 8-16 Celtics face Iverson and the
                                Sixers. Imagine what he will say after he
                                sees the real thing.

                                This story ran on page C01 of the Boston
                                Globe on 03/24/99.
                                © Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company.