Re: Never Happen

jmc@ptc.com wrote:

> I've noticed that in the last few games, Ron Mercer has had an increasing
> number of turnovers caused by simply losing the dribble when trying to
> make a move.  It's like he's lost all thought of controlling the ball and
> is focusing ALL his attention, instead of most of it, on what move he's
> going to make (clipped)  Jon Mc

Interestingly, you could say the exact opposite thing about Walter McCarty and
Antoine Walker. Those two can execute moves with the speed of a rattlesnake, but
don't necessarily pay attention to what the defense gives them in reaction to the
first step. In the case of Toine, I think he's more often guilty of this sort of
brain-lock/tunnel-vision once he's inside the paint.

On isolation dribble attacks from outside, Antoine does in fact seem to react to
what the defender gives him (and subsequently dribble off his left foot). Like I
said earlier, AW just seems to pound that ball into the floor. If you were playing
with him in a YMCA-size gym, you'd hear a "boom, boom, boom" cadence whenever he
drove at someone, rather than "pachunk, pachunk, pachunk."

You'd be like "Geez, what was that sound!?" It's a distinctive characteristic of
Walker's game, in a way. So I look forward to it and love those moments when
'Toine goes for it, even knowing it's a frankly bad or broken play. It's the
cadence of the dribble that I love. I think Josh Ozersky or someone else on the
list also said they would like to see 'Toine do it more this year, no doubt to the
chagrin of Kevin Lok and friends. :-)

Regarding Ron Mercer, I share your theory. Basically, he plays like he's still
thinking too much ("am I being too selfish?" or whatever). You'd think Mercer has
ample hand speed and coordination to execute the occasional explosive and fluid
dribble move (he does but not with nearly the frequency of a Kobe Bryant). In any
case, his successful dribble moves are more fluid than explosive. His finishes are
explosive, but his first step is merely "smooth" at best. Maybe he needs to
explode a tiny bit more on the first step, since in basketball the "first step"
means practically everything. That's why he's in the NBA and we're all spectators.

Go Celts!

****