Re: VP (I love Vitaly!)

I have to admit, I'm warming up to the trade a little bit.  A lot of it
has to do with the fact that they got him signed to what seems like
reasonable money.  Also, V has impressed me as a hard working player,
willing to give all he's got.  Which is important when his skills are
limited, and they are.  Yes, he's got better low post moves than any
center the Celts have had under Pitino, but that's saying very little.
Is he potentially one of the better starting 5s in the league?  Frankly,
I'm amazed you would even suggest it. But I think he's *potentially* an
average one, and I guess that's good enough for what they gave up.  I
mean, I love Andrew, but he was destined to be trade meat, wasn't he?

Jim (running for president of the VP fan club)

>From: peter delevett <pdelevett@amcity.com>
>To: Celtics <Celtics@igtc.com>
>Subject: VP
>Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 10:17:37 -0800
>
>I agree with this assessment. With Potapenko, I think we potentially
>--repeat, potentially -- have one of the better starting 5s in the
>league.Kudos, BTW, to Chris Wallace for inking the guy to an >extension
that was less than the minimum $6 mil a year he reportedly >was seeking.
Unless Vitaly turns out to be a total stiff, $5.5 mil a yr >will be a
bargain and won't create a salary albatross around our >necks (or make
the kid untradeable).