Newspaper Accounts Of The Potapenko Acquisition: Bulpett, Holley, Beacon-Journal

                                [The Boston Globe Online][Boston.com]
                                [Boston Globe Online / Sports]

                                DeClercq, No. 1 draft pick dealt for Cavs
                                strongman Potapenko

                                By Michael Holley, Globe Staff, 03/12/99

                                ATLANTA - Andrew DeClercq boarded
                                the Celtics team bus last night
                                with the rest of his teammates, preparing
                                for a game against the Hawks. That was at
                                5:30. Thirty minutes later, the men
                                sitting next to DeClercq were former
                                teammates.

                                DeClercq became a member of the Cleveland
                                Cavaliers when the Celtics traded him and
                                a first-round draft choice for
                                6-foot-10-inch, 285-pound center Vitaly
                                Potapenko. Cleveland has the option of
                                taking the first-rounder this year or
                                next. The only condition is that the
                                Celtics retain their '99 pick if they wind
                                up with one of the top three choices in
                                the draft.

                                Celtics coach Rick Pitino has said all
                                season that his team needs size and a
                                defensive presence, which is what made
                                Potapenko attractive to the team. What
                                made him unattractive to the Cavs is his
                                contract status: He'll be a free agent at
                                the end of the season and the sides
                                couldn't agree on his worth. Potapenko
                                supposedly wants a deal averaging between
                                $6 million and $8 million per season; the
                                Cavs didn't want to pay that much for a
                                man who would essentially be backing up
                                Zydrunas Ilgauskus. So the trade was on.

                                ''It's a great move for us,'' said Pitino,
                                who praised DeClercq for giving the team
                                everything he had, but added the 6-10,
                                245-pound DeClercq is ''really a power
                                forward.'' And everyone knew the Celtics
                                needed a center.

                                ''The thing about Vitaly is that he's 280
                                pounds and can guard his own man [without
                                needing a double team],'' Pitino said.
                                ''He may be the strongest player in the
                                NBA.''

                                The Celtics play in Detroit tonight, when
                                Potapenko is expected to join them. He
                                also is expected to move quickly into a
                                role as the team's starting center.
                                Although DeClercq is more comfortable at
                                forward, he will start for the Cavs at
                                center for the rest of the season since
                                Ilgauskus is hurt.

                                Cleveland coaches loved that Potapenko was
                                comfortable in the weight room. One
                                assistant even said the center, who will
                                be 24 in a week, is stronger than Karl

                                Malone. That's one reason Pitino said he
                                didn't mind giving up a protected
                                first-round pick, especially since ''there
                                isn't a center in the draft.'' Pitino
                                looked at the free agent list and saw
                                Olden Polynice was the only center. ''And
                                I think he would be looking for a little
                                more than the $2 million exception,'' the
                                coach said, referring to the only way the
                                Celtics would have been able to sign
                                anyone. As for being able to meet
                                Potapenko's contract demands, Pitino said,
                                ''I'm comfortable that we'll be able to
                                sign him.''

                                The deadline for signing extensions this
                                season is tomorrow. If the Celtics don't
                                sign Potapenko - who is currently making
                                $1.42 million - by then, they'll have to
                                wait until after July 1. Potapenko is
                                averaging about 8 points and 5.5 rebounds
                                per game. He averaged 7.1 points and 3.9
                                rebounds last season. During his rookie
                                year, he was known as a scorer who didn't
                                want to defend. That drew the ire of coach
                                Mike Fratello. Recently, Potapenko has
                                improved his defense but still hasn't
                                established himself as an elite rebounder.

                                Pitino was asked if it hurt him to give up
                                the first-round pick, which the Cavs will
                                most likely take this year.

                                ''This team doesn't need more youth,'' he
                                said.

                                This story ran on page E01 of the Boston
                                Globe on 03/12/99.
                                © Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company.

                  Pitino deals for center: Gets Potapenko from Cavs
                  by Steve Bulpett

                  Friday, March 12, 1999

                  ATLANTA - The Celtics solved a glaring need yesterday,
                  acquiring 6-foot-10, 280-pound center Vitaly Potapenko
                  from Cleveland for Andrew DeClercq and a No. 1 draft pick.

                  The move, reported in yesterday's Herald to be in the
                  works, came to fruition just before the trading deadline
                  when the Cavaliers agreed to give the Celts protection on
                  the pick if it is in the top three this season. Celtics
                  coach Rick Pitino had balked on the deal because the Cavs
                  were holding out for an unencumbered selection.

                  ``I was happy to get it protected to three,'' he said.
                  ``That was the key. And the clincher was being able to
                  sign Vitaly. I think he'll be a Celtic for a long time. I
                  feel comfortable that we'll be able to sign him.''

                  The Celts hope Potapenko will be able to join them for
                  tonight's game in Detroit. He is a third-year player under
                  the original rookie wage scale who could be a free agent
                  this summer.

                  But he will not get there; the Celts have until midnight
                  tomorrow to sign him to an extension, and they will almost
                  certainly do so in a deal that begins in the $3.5 million
                  range.

                  As for the draft pick, Cleveland may take it in either
                  2000 or 2001 if not this June, but Pitino said last night
                  he is confident the Cavs will take this year's selection.

                 ``Yes, because I think they feel we're going to be
                  better,'' he said.

                  After watching Charles Oakley slap Antoine Walker last
                  Sunday without response and after seeing Charles
                  Shackleford back in on the Celtic centers Tuesday in
                  Charlotte, Pitino wanted to fight back.

                  ``It's what we need. We have to have a tough, physical
                  banger,'' he said. ``I tell you, this kid's tough. We've
                  researched him now for the last month, and he is a great
                  guy like Andrew, but he is a tough, hard-nosed guy. Don't
                  mess with this guy.

                  ``Red (Auerbach) was saying we needed a guy like Bob
                  Brannum and this is that type of guy for us. He's prone to
                  foul a little bit, and that's something we've got to work
                  on, but he guards his own man without double-teams and
                  he's strong and tough.''

                  With Eric Riley the Celts' only true center, a move was
                  imperative. Pitino felt that with just a $2 million
                  exception to spend on a free agent pivot man, he had to
                  jump at this chance.

                  Potapenko was available because, with the Cavs having
                  spent big money on center Zydrunas Ilgauskas and power
                  forward Shawn Kemp, club management insisted it was not
                  going to pay him big free-agent dollars. In DeClercq they
                  get a capable backup with just $5.7 million left on his
                  contract the next three years (the $2.16 million in
                  2001-02 is at DeClercq's option).

                  ``We tried everything humanly possible to get a center,''
                  Pitino said. ``We looked at the free agent list, and Olden
                  Polynice is probably the best name on it, and he's
                  probably going to want more than the $2 million exception.
                  We tried everything possible to get a banger, and we're
                  very, very excited with Vitaly because he's 280 pounds and
                  just last night he had (Phoenix center) Luc Longley
                  0-for-5.

                  ``He can guard his own man. He's maybe the strongest
                  person in the NBA from a weight training standpoint. He's
                  also extremely physical - very rough, very rugged - and
                  probably what this team needs.''

                  The loss of the draft pick isn't an issue with Pitino now
                  that he knows he can keep it if the club misses the
                  playoffs and catches lottery lightning in a bottle.

                  ``Protected to three, no I'm not concerned (about the
                  pick),'' Pitino said. ``I think that this team needs age,
                  not youth. I think right now we're too young. That's been
                  one of our weaknesses. Now were going after age and trying
                  to keep our young players intact if that's possible.''

                                [The Boston Globe Online][Boston.com]
                                [Boston Globe Online / Sports]

                                HAWKS 99, CELTICS 85
                                Celtics lose, but help is on the way

                                Boston's deficiencies apparent as Hawks
                                show their muscle

                                By Michael Holley, Globe Staff, 03/12/99

                                ATLANTA - The trading deadline has
                                passed and the Celtics now have
                                Vitaly Potapenko. He's a 285-pound center,
                                so he will help them. But it would have
                                been even better if the team in green had
                                extracted a center named Russell,
                                Chamberlain, O'Neal, or Duncan.

                                That must have been obvious to the 8,518
                                people who watched the Hawks dismiss the
                                lighter Celtics, 99-85, last night at
                                Alexander Memorial Coliseum. Most of the
                                fans who watched from New England already
                                know about the Celtic deficiencies, which
                                seem worse now that the team is 7-10 and
                                on a three-game losing streak.

                                So, yes, Potapenko is coming. He'll be in
                                Auburn Hills, Mich., tonight when the
                                Celtics play the Pistons. That's fine with
                                his new teammates. But they're probably
                                wondering, ''Hey, V, got anybody with
                                you?''

                                ''I hope he's ready to work,'' Antoine
                                Walker said, ''because we sure need some
                                help here.'' Walker was asked if the trade
                                for Potapenko would affect him personally.
                                ''They can bring in the Pope and it
                                wouldn't affect me,'' he said.

                                The Pope? He wouldn't be a bad addition to
                                the Celtics, either. He could certainly
                                offer some prayers for them, something
                                they could use if they still want to slide
                                into the Eastern Conference playoffs. But
                                we're not sure how much he could help the
                                Celtics' sagging rebounding.

                                Last night, the Hawks had a 55-37
                                rebounding edge. As you might have
                                guessed, Dikembe Mutombo led all
                                rebounders with 15. But when you have an
                                18-rebound advantage on a team, it usually
                                means that big guys, medium guys, and
                                small guys all are retrieving missed
                                shots.

                                That's what happened. Mookie Blaylock, a
                                6-foot-2-inch ''little'' guy, had 11
                                assists. He also had six rebounds. Steve
                                Smith, a 6-8 ''medium'' guy added four
                                rebounds. So the Hawks got 10 rebounds
                                from their starting backcourt - where
                                little guys roam - while the Celtics got
                                11 rebounds from their starting
                                frontcourt.

                                ''But that's not why we lost,'' Kenny
                                Anderson said. ''We lost because all of us
                                are not playing good defense. Until we do
                                that, we're going to keep talking about
                                games like this.''

                                ''There's not one person in the starting
                                lineup who is committed to being a great
                                defensive player,'' Celtics coach Rick
                                Pitino said. ''And that's a sign of
                                inexperience and youth.''

                                Every Hawk starter scored in double
                                figures for the first time all season.
                                Mutombo and Alan Henderson led Atlanta
                                with 18 points apiece.

                                ''We have way too much talent to be losing
                                like this,'' said Walker, who had a
                                game-high 19 points. ''We're trying hard,
                                but trying hard isn't enough. We need to
                                execute.''

                                This story ran on page E01 of the Boston
                                Globe on 03/12/99.
                                © Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company.

                     Cavs lose `V' in trade

                     * Vitaly Potapenko goes to Boston for DeClercq and a
                                      first-round pick

                     BY CHRIS TOMASSON
                     3/12/99
                     Beacon Journal staff writer

                     Thanks to some 11th-hour manuevering,
                     Cavaliers will not lose center Vitaly Potapenko and
                     get nothing in return.

                     Just before the 6 p.m. trading deadline yesterday, the
                     Cavs traded Potapenko, scheduled to become a free
                     agent after this season, to Boston for 6-foot-10
                     center Andrew DeClercq and a first-round draft choice.

                     The Cavs can have Boston's pick in this year's draft
                     if it is not in the top three. The Cavs, though, would
                     have the option instead of receiving the Celtics'
                     first-round pick in 2000 or 2001.

                     ``We had negotiated with Vitaly's agent (Curtis Polk)
                     up until a little while before the trade, and we
                     decided we were still far apart,'' Cavs president
                     Wayne Embry said. ``Vitaly's going to be a fine
                     player. . . . But we were unable to extend him.''

                     Potapenko, whose three-year, $3.7 million contract
                     expires at the end of this season, could have signed
                     an extension with the Cavs by tomorrow. But with the
                     Cavs offering nowhere near the $6-to-$8 million
                     Potapenko wanted per season, it was apparent he would
                     not re-sign now or after the season.

                     In DeClercq, a four-year veteran from Florida, the
                     Cavs get a player who will be the staring center or
                     power forward (if Shawn Kemp moves to center) for the
                     remainder of the season. He figures to be a backup
                     next season if center Zydrunas Ilgauskas returns
                     successfully from a broken foot.

                     Perhaps most importantly, DeClercq, 26, is signed
                     through 2001-02. DeClercq, who will join the Cavs for
                     tomorrow's game at Houston, is making $1.44 million in
                     the second year of a five-year $8.4 million deal.

                     The Cavs, who recently have signed Ilgauskas, Kemp,
                     Wesley Person and Bob Sura to big contracts, were in
                     no mood to give a huge deal to a future reserve such
                     as Potapenko.

                     The 6-10, 280-pound Potapenko, averaging 8.4 points
                     and 5.5 rebounds, did provide the Cavs with strength
                     inside. The 230-pound DeClercq, who is averaging 5.4
                     points and 4.5 rebounds, is not nearly the physical
                     presence.

                     ``He's physically a different size, but he does a lot
                     of things in his own right,'' Cavs coach Mike Fratello
                     said. ``He knows how to stick his head in there. He'll
                     take charges and dive on the floor for loose balls.''

                     Embry admits the move could weaken the Cavs (8-9) a
                     bit for the remainder of this season. But Embry said
                     the team is ``thinking about the future.''

                     The Cavs could end up with a high draft choice since
                     the Celtics haven't made the playoffs since 1994-95
                     and are 7-9 this season. But Celtics coach Rick Pitino
                     believed it was a price worth paying for his
                     center-starved team.

                     ``It's a great deal for us,'' Pitino said. ``We like
                     Vitaly. He's 280 pounds. He can guard his own man
                     without a double team. He may be the strongest player
                     in the NBA.''

                     Pitino is hopeful the Celtics will sign Potapenko to
                     an extension, either by tomorrow or at the end of the
                     season.

                     The Cavs continue to have 11 players on the roster.
                     Embry said one option is to sign forward Antonio Lang,
                     waived by the Cavs Wednesday, to a 10-day contract
                     after he clears waivers today.