Potapenko pros/cons

I have been a long and loud backer of acquiring this guy, but I agree with
some of the concerns that have been raised about this proposed trade.

PROS
Potapenko is just damn huge. I would think he has to improve our defense, if
only as a deterrent from the uncontested drives-to-the-hoop that have been
victimizing us. I haven't seen enough of his game to know if he's got the
lateral quickness to defend centers one on one, as someone else noted; but I
gotta think he's got the girth to lean on the big bodies, which we're
currently lacking. He held Ewing to 14 and 16 points this year and Ike Austin
to 12. He also is a legit post scorer (dropped 14 points on San Antonio, 16
and 17 points on the Knicks) and will force respect from defenses, which could
open up things even more for Pierce and Mercer on the wing. Antoine won't have
to absorb all the beating from the opposition's big man, and when Potapenko
sets a pick, better believe the opponent will feel it. As someone else
mentioned, he will probably have a higher trade value than DeClercq.

CONS
He won't help out much on the boards, which is pathetic given his size. He
averages 5.5 rpg (in 27 minutes) and .9 blocks (comparable, BTW, to what Matt
Geiger's putting up this season). On the other hand, Andrew's not much better
in those departments; their per-minute numbers this season are about
identical. I too would hate to lose Drew's energy and ferocity, which is
something you love to see and which sets an example for the team. But then
again, while that's popular with the fans, how much does it truly contribute
to the W-L column? I think we'll all agree that DeClercq is not a starter on a
championship team, while Vitaly perhaps could be, in the role of the Bill
Cartwright/Luc Longley. Potapenko also has worked to pick up his per-minute
shotblocking since Ilgauskas went down; he swatted 2 against the Spurs, 2
against Orlando and 3 in the first Knicks game (along with 12 boards). I would
be totally averse to including our 1999 pick in this deal, given the wealth of
PGs and our need in that department; if it's a 2000 or 2001 pick, I say why
not. Finally, we have got to have some kind of understanding with Falk that
we'll get every opportunity to re-sign the guy; if we trade away a nice player
and a pick and end up with nada this summer, that will be more egg on Pitino's face.

Bottom line, I think VP currently is one of the best backup centers in the
league and has a legitimate chance to start for somebody next season. He will
be one of the top FA centers coming on the market. Don't doubt for a minute
that if Embree can flush out a better offer for him, this one's off the table
in a heartbeat.