Michael Holley: Pitino Looking Forward To Making Changes And Next Season

==
MG In Exile

                                [The Boston Globe Online][Boston.com]
                                [Boston Globe Online / Sports]

                                Pitino yearning for next year

                                By Michael Holley, Globe Staff, 03/11/99

                                ATLANTA - You will love the Celtics
                                of tomorrow. The 21st century/Y2K
                                version of the team in shamrocked shorts
                                will defend. It will be mature. It will be
                                one of the top squads in the Eastern
                                Conference. It will not inspire its head
                                coach to curse when he is asked, ''How's
                                your team doing?''

                                ''We will make the playoffs next season,''
                                Celtics coach Rick Pitino said yesterday.
                                ''Come July 1, I'm going to make the
                                changes - the right changes - it takes for
                                us to be a good team.''

                                NBA fans know July 1 marks the beginning
                                of the free agency period. They also know
                                that when a coach starts talking about the
                                year ahead, that usually means there isn't
                                much joy with the year at hand.

                                ''The Charlotte game was probably the low
                                point for me in 25 years of coaching,''
                                Pitino said of his team's 105-87 loss to
                                the battered Hornets Tuesday night. ''Our
                                team is not doing well at all. We can't
                                guard the low post. We don't guard screens
                                well. We have five different players who
                                can't guard anyone. You should see the way
                                we're grading out for these games. I have
                                never had a team grade out so low. We were
                                in the 70s for the Miami game [a 108-101
                                win]. Lately, we've been in the 40s.''

                                So, to be clear, fans probably shouldn't
                                plan to see any playoff games at the
                                FleetCenter in May?

                                ''I'm not overly optimistic about the
                                playoffs this year,'' Pitino said after a
                                90-minute practice at Georgia Tech. ''I'm
                                not overly pessimistic, either.''

                                Pitino was asked if his team's problems
                                are correctable.

                                ''Yes, but we're going to need weeks and
                                weeks and weeks of practice to correct
                                them.''

                                Of course, the Celtics don't have weeks of
                                practice in this 50-game season. Based on
                                their open dates the rest of the season,
                                they could have a maximum of 22 practices.
                                But that number is deceiving, because it
                                doesn't account for any days off between
                                now and May 5. There are also two open
                                dates following
                                three-games-in-three-nights stretches in
                                April. The players couldn't possibly
                                practice after a schedule like that. So
                                Pitino knows that he has somewhere between
                                12 and 15 practices remaining. He also
                                knows some changes will have to be made.

                                One change can be with the personnel he
                                has now.

                                ''We could turn it around if guys went out
                                on the floor every night and put their
                                lives on the line defensively,'' he said.
                                ''But I don't see that; there's a lot of
                                living going on.''

                                Bruce Bowen put some critical body parts
                                on the line during the Hornets game. He
                                looked like a wide receiver being tackled
                                on the sideline when he chased after a
                                loose ball, was upended by David Wesley,
                                and wound up spread-eagled against press
                                row. Many people were amazed to see the
                                6-foot-7-inch forward get up and continue
                                playing. Bowen is not the only one playing
                                good defense. Pitino knows that guard Greg
                                Minor wouldn't mind being traded but, ''I
                                like the way he's playing right now. He's
                                doing his job under tough circumstances
                                for him.''

                                After the loss to the Hornets, some
                                players talked of having a players-only
                                meeting. Walter McCarty said yesterday
                                that the meeting didn't happen, mostly
                                because the team realized that it would be
                                better off playing than talking. But there
                                was some talking going on yesterday, on
                                two levels.

                                First there was Pitino chatting with his
                                players.

                                ''I told them that I'm old fashioned,'' he
                                said. ''What do they say now, old school?
                                I'm old school. I believe in defense and
                                moving the ball. Two things young players
                                struggle with are defense and shot
                                selection. That's one reason Pat Riley has
                                a phobia of players 26 and under.''

                                Then there was Pitino and Chris Wallace
                                talking to personnel men around the NBA.
                                Today is the trading deadline. It was
                                pointed out to Pitino that, given his
                                team's chemistry problems, a trade would
                                seem to be the last thing the Celtics
                                needed. Bring in a new player with no time
                                to practice and you're asking for
                                additional problems, aren't you?

                                ''But any trade we made would be for next
                                year, not this one,'' he said. Pitino said
                                he is not actively seeking to make a
                                trade, but it is the Celtics' obligation
                                to listen to other teams.

                                ''I'm trying to stay on an even keel,'' he
                                said. ''If we need to make changes, we'll
                                make them.''

                                He was talking about July 1, not March 11.

                                Paul Pierce, who sprained his right ankle
                                against Charlotte, said that he probably
                                will not play tonight against the Hawks.
                                ''But at least I'm walking,'' he said. He
                                may not play tomorrow against the Pistons,
                                either ... Chuck Person basically called
                                Antoine Walker a selfish player after
                                Tuesday's game, saying he had a ''bad'' 32
                                points. Pitino was asked about that. ''In
                                Antoine's mind, he probably thinks he has
                                to take a lot of shots for us to win. And
                                he's probably right,'' Pitino said. ''I
                                don't have a problem with that, as long as
                                they are the right shots. He shoots his
                                highest percentage when he goes to the
                                basket or when he posts up.''

                                This story ran on page C05 of the Boston
                                Globe on 03/11/99.
                                © Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company.