KEEP MERCER

Joe Hironaka wrote:

<<But a huge difference (at this early stage) between a Ron Mercer and
a Reggie Lewis is that Mercer's game is still limited to the 18 foot
shot and the dunk, with a confounding blank space in between. (I thank
other
list-members for making this observation).  Reggie Lewis obviously
could create his own shots in a half court offense, even with the
clock running down. At the end of last season (the last games I
personally saw), Ron Mercer could not or would not be a Reggie Lewis.>>

By the time he was a 4th or 5th year player, Reggie certainly could do
pretty much anything he wanted at both ends of the court.  But as a
second year player (thrust into the spotlight due to Bird's injury in
1988), he was far from complete offensively.  And for those of you who
keep bashing Mercer for not being a 3 point threat, Reggie was 3 for
22 FOR HIS ENTIRE SECOND YEAR (and 27 for 135 for HIS ENTIRE
(tragically abbreviated) CAREER) from beyond the arc.  And Reggie
averaged only about 2.5 apg.

I agree that Mercer has a long way to go before he can be compared
favorably with Reggie Lewis -- especially as a defender.  But -- say
it with me, people -- RON MERCER IS IN HIS SECOND YEAR IN THE NBA
AFTER COMING OUT AS A SOPHOMORE.  HE IS NOT YET 23 YEARS OLD.  The
athletic ability is there.  The intelligence is there -- how many bad
shots do we see Ron take?  The drive is there.  He's still getting
healthy, for heaven's sake.

I realize that it may be a bit unfair to make these points after
having watched Ron have a career night against an out-of-position Cory
Alexander.  But I'm right.

I HAVE NO INTEREST IN ANYONE FROM CLIPPERLAND.

KEEP THE FAITH.
KEEP RON.
KEEP ANTOINE.
KEEP PAUL.
THEY WILL WIN US BANNER #17 (AND POSSIBLY MORE) AND WHEN THEY ARE
DONE, OUR BIGGEST COMPLAINT WILL BE THAT THE CELTICS WILL BE JUST
ABOUT OUT OF UNIFORM NUMBERS.

Michael Gooen

P.S.  What's the story on Derrick Battie?  He never impressed me at
Temple as anything more than a CBA lifer -- are the Celtics really
thinking about giving him a look, or is Willie Maye just desperate for
a human interest angle?