Pitino in the Globe

Talking about the team's lack of a shotblocker: "Pitino isn't quite as
frustrated as his players. ''That's the building process,'' he said ... "The
reason we have to rotate so much is that we don't have great interior defense.
That's our Achilles' heel. But while we're building, that's what we have to do."

Maybe this is just me putting on rose-colored glasses, but it doesn't sound
like Pitino's in a rush to trade "an asset" (one of the big four) for a big
man. He twice used the word "building." I find that reassuring.

It's now about 8 hours after I first got that post about the purported
Wright/Taylor trade talks, and so far I've seen nothing about it on ESPN.com
or CNNSI.com. I have to think they would have reported it if 2 radio stations
on 2 coasts had reported it; therefore, I question the post. But FWIW, here
are my thoughts on the deal:

a) It seems like a trading-talent-to-fill-a-need type of deal, which rarely
work. I don't think either player is as skilled as Mercer; both underachieved
in college, whereas Ron bore the mark of a perennial NBA all-star ever since
his sophomore year at UK. Sure, Walker could probably play the 3, but we
haven't seen much of Pierce at the 2 -- can he make the adjustment?

b) People have posted conflicting reports on Wright's weight, but if he really
is 240 pounds (as ESPN says), I say he's too skinny to be an effective NBA
pivot (same size as Battie; NBA.com. however, has Wright listed at 262, which
I question -- can anyone clear this up?). C'mon, if the guy were that
promising, would the Clippers have drafted Olowakandi, a project?? For that
matter, though Taylor has exceeded expectations since being drafted (which
were minimal - everyone said the Clips had taken him way, way too high), if he
were such hot stuff the Clips would have dealt Rodney Rogers for backcourt
help. Neither of these guys has helped carry LA out of the cellar. And
Wright's career shotblocking and boarding numbers are worse than Eric Riley's
this season on a per-minute basis!

c) Bottom line: someone asked if the deal would help win the Celts a
championship. I truly believe Ron Mercer is a starter on a
championship-caliber team; Lorenzen Wright is not, and I question whether
Taylor could be.

As final proof that this trade won't happen, Mercer and Riley both are playing
against Denver right now, which Pitino wouldn't dare do if he were
contemplating a trade. (And Mercer has 25 points thru 3 quarters, which should
persuade Rick if he's having any doubts).