Re: Talented but painfully young

I don't think this game was much different than normal for Antoine.  He
hit 8 of 21, that's 38%.  That's maybe one made shot away from his
career average.  And he missed a few easy ones, including a wide open
dunk (that makes about three this year, already).  When you miss easy
shots, shot selection isn't the problem. You're making it sound like he
never passes, but he did have 6 assists, and he is being asked to be the
team's main inside scorer.

The only place I thought he looked bad was defending Van Horn.  They
really went after Antoine last night.  And, is it me or is this hand
checking rule being applied unevenly?  It seemed like Van Horn was
guarding Antoine with his hands all night.  Antoine seems to get away
with it too.  But some people only need to put their hand on a guy's hip
and the whistle blows.

I'm convinced now that Antoine's still playing himself into shape.  The
blown dunks are the clincher.  It's the sort of shot that you miss
because you think you have the thrust to get up there, but don't.

Jim

>Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 10:19:52 -0500
>To: "Jim Meninno" <jim_meninno@hotmail.com>
>From: Daniel Forant Sr <dforant1@nycap.rr.com>
>Subject: Re: Talented but painfully young
>Cc: celtics@igtc.com
>
>AW's my man, but he shows complete disregard for shot selection. He
shot somewhere around 30%, but it was the selections that bother me, he
gets caught inside with bigger men and forces it to happen, when he
could learn either: fake and draw some fouls, or kick it out to someone
open.