my letter to Dave Stern

To Mr David Stern,

There has been enormous talk lately about the amount of early entrant
candidates entering the NBA draft and there hasn't been much talk about
how to solve this.

We all know that it is hurting both the college game and the NBA. To
make it so that there can be no early entrants would be a bad thing for
the NBA and I'm sure you recognize that with such talents as Kobe
Bryant, Kevin Garnett, Allen Iverson and Shaquille O'Neal among a large
list of names making a name for themselves in the league substantiating
a claim that early entrants should be allowed to enter the league.

I have given it enormous thought and I have come up with a way that both
the NBA and the NCAA can improve its respective competitions while at
the same time allowing those superior players (as mentioned above) to
enter the league and bloom into NBA stars at a younger age than normally
would be the case at their own discretion of course.

My suggestion would be to implement a system where you give each NBA
team the permission to draft one early entrant candidate every four
years.

I used the number four as it is the number of years in a college career.
This would average out to 7.25 early entrants a season.

With the upcoming draft it would allow arguably 7 of the top 10 picks
(This years 7 in all honesty would include Steve Francis, Elton Brand,
Lamar Odom, Baron Davis, Richard Hamilton, Corey Maggette and William
Avery.) to enter the league while it would ensure that other collegiate
and high school stars (using this years examples, Jonathon Bender, Ron
Artest, Alek Radojevic, etc, etc.) to move from the middle of the draft
to giving them another year in college which often is the difference in
making them busts/limited players to making a difference to a team and
moreso stardom.

Its in my firm belief that this method would ensure the moderation that
you are looking for.

Please reply to me as I would love to read what you're reaction to my
suggestion is.

Thankyou,

Warwick Janetzki