Re: Sprewell/Mercer

>From: Gregory Hurst <gh18@juno.com>

>Sign Mercer!  Sprewell just proved that you do not have to posses three
>point range to be a two guard.  One can be just as effective with the short
>mid-range jumper and slashes to the hoop.  Please read the article as I
>wrote it and do not send me any choke the coach replies!

I was thinking about the Knicks in terms of what they have achieved, and
comparing their talent to the Celtics, and I thought, in many areas, the
Celtics have better talent.  I would compare Mercer more closely to Houston
than Sprewell.  Pierce would be a closer match with Sprewell, with Spre
being more athletic, but Pierce being much more polished offensively.
Battie and Camby have obvious similarities.  Ward/Childs vs. Kenny/Dana?
Not exactly similar, but our guys should be able to hold their own.  Ewing
vs. Potapenko?  Well, let's just say that the Celtics don't play better
without V.  I was thinking, "hey, the Celtics are holding up pretty well in
this comparison".  Then, it struck me.  I haven't even factored in Antione.
What's the comparison, 'Toine Vs. LJ?  Antoine's got that one hands down in
my book.  The rest are just role players.

It all makes me very optimistic about what the Celtics should be able to
achieve within the next few years.  What is needed is a lot of seasoning.
Playoffs are a must every year starting now.  They also need to start
playing with a lot more confidence and toughness.  For that, they will need
total belief in their coach and system.  All the criticism of Pitino until
now has been just so much hot air.  It has been totally unreasonable to
expect any more than he has delivered, so far.  It's time to start expecting
results now, though.  And, to his credit, Pitino has stepped up to the plate
and acknowleged that.  At least, as fans, we have a team that we feel is
worthy of our expectations.

Jim