McHale memory

My favorite McHale memory is also somewhat of a disappointing memory as
well.  If you recall the last play of the game in Charlotte should not
have ended the playoffs or McHale's career.  After Mourning got so lucky
it was not funny, the Celtics had the last play.  McHale inbounded to
Dee Brown on an alley oop type pass and it was "blocked" by Kendall
Gill.  I remember thinking that it sucked, but the camera focused in on
McHale calling for a basket.  I think the announcer was Doug Collins and
he pointed out that McHale wanted a goal tending call.  They then showed
a replay and McHale was correct.  Dee released the ball straight down to
the basket.  So, it only had a downward arc.  The basket should have
counted and the series should have gone back to Boston.  Instead, McHale
hung them up and it was a bittersweet ending for sure.

The reason it is one of my favorite McHale memories is that it showed
his court awareness as he and Collins were the only two saying anything
about the call.   And it showed that he was all heart and wanted it.

My second favorite memory was how he always wanted to get on with the
competition.  He didn't want to wait or rest.  Put the ball up again,
let's go.

--

Bentz Kirby
bocelts@usit.net