Re: NBA Rules Committee Changes

>From: Mike Dynon <mdynon@ix.netcom.com>
>	j. The frontcourt is divided into the following three          defensive
>areas:
>		(1) The Upper Defensive Area (6' X 50') extends from
>the upper tip-of-circle extended to the free                    throw line
>extended.
>		(2) The Middle Defensive Area (6' X 50') extends from
>the free throw line extended to the bottom tip-of-
>                   circle extended.
>		(3) The Lower Defensive Area (13' X 50') extends from
>the bottom tip-of-circle extended to the baseline.
>
>	l. A defender may always position himself one defensive area          away
>from the offensive player he is guarding.
>
>Therefore, if the player with the ball is anywhere within the Middle
>Def. Area, then his defender can drop down to the Lower Def. Area and
>essentially double the post to impede the pass.  Perhaps we don't see
>this too often because, as Hubie Brown would say, that's poor offensive
>spacing.

Right, if you're guarding the man with the ball, and he's above the top of
the key, you must stay above the foul line.  I believe the story I saw (on
ESPN, I think) said they were thinking about doing away with that
restriction and allowing "strong side zones".  I think this would have
included defensive players away from the ball, on the strong side, too.  The
latest transcripts sound like this is no longer being considered, I just
wondered if anyone had any info on that.

Good night,
Jim