Re: NBA Rules Committee Changes

Jim Meninno wrote:

> >From: Mike Dynon <mdynon@ix.netcom.com>
> >
> >FWIW, I have the rule right here in front of me, and it does not mention
> >anything for or against double-teaming in the situation we are discussing.
> >It talks only about restrictions on doubling from the weak side.  I take
> >that to mean that sagging down to the post on the strong side is indeed
> >legal.  Also, I can't recall ever seeing an illegal defense called for this
> >action.  Perhaps the "rule change" will be to add a clause to state
> >specifically that such a strategy is OK.
> >Mike
> >

> This, from NBA.COM, would seem to indicate otherwise.
>
> Jim
>
>       k. If an offensive player is positioned above the tip-of-circle
> extended, "weakside" or "strongside," his defender must position himself
> above the free throw line extended (Upper Defensive Area). A defender may go
> below the free throw line extended (1) to aggressively double-team the ball,
> (2) to defend an offensive player(s) who is open because of a double-team on
> the ball, or (3) as a normal reaction to a "ball fake." The defender must
> return to a legal position immediately, or double-team on-the-ball if the
> ball is not released on the pass.

You are right, but sections J. and L. from that rule add perspective to
what I'm saying:

	j. The frontcourt is divided into the following three defensive areas:
		(1) The Upper Defensive Area (6' X 50') extends from the upper
tip-of-circle extended to the free throw line extended.
		(2) The Middle Defensive Area (6' X 50') extends from the free throw
line extended to the bottom tip-of-circle extended.
		(3) The Lower Defensive Area (13' X 50') extends from the bottom
tip-of-circle extended to the baseline.

	l. A defender may always position himself one defensive area away from
the offensive player he is guarding.

Therefore, if the player with the ball is anywhere within the Middle
Def. Area, then his defender can drop down to the Lower Def. Area and
essentially double the post to impede the pass.  Perhaps we don't see
this too often because, as Hubie Brown would say, that's poor offensive
spacing.

So I stand by my original point that a strong side player can sag down
on the post, but as you noted, there are limits.

The NBA should junk the whole confusing rule and allow zones, but it
probably won't happen.  One-on-one highlights are too important to
marketing.

Mike