Re: NBA Rules Committee Changes

>From: Mike Dynon <mdynon@ix.netcom.com>
>
>FWIW, I have the rule right here in front of me, and it does not mention
>anything for or against double-teaming in the situation we are discussing.
>It talks only about restrictions on doubling from the weak side.  I take
>that to mean that sagging down to the post on the strong side is indeed
>legal.  Also, I can't recall ever seeing an illegal defense called for this
>action.  Perhaps the "rule change" will be to add a clause to state
>specifically that such a strategy is OK.
>Mike

This, from NBA.COM, would seem to indicate otherwise.

Jim

      k. If an offensive player is positioned above the tip-of-circle
extended, "weakside" or "strongside," his defender must position himself
above the free throw line extended (Upper Defensive Area). A defender may go
below the free throw line extended (1) to aggressively double-team the ball,
(2) to defend an offensive player(s) who is open because of a double-team on
the ball, or (3) as a normal reaction to a "ball fake." The defender must
return to a legal position immediately, or double-team on-the-ball if the
ball is not released on the pass.