Re: NBA Rules Committee Changes

"Berry, Mark S" wrote:

> Actually, it isn't legal. You're right Mike about teams using a good shooter
> to feed the post, but that shooter's defender isn't allowed to double down
> on the post man until the pass is thrown into him. Under the new guidelines,
> that defender could sag down to prevent that pass to the post before it is
> made. Of course, that leaves an open shot for the passer.
>
> Mark

FWIW, I have the rule right here in front of me, and it does not mention
anything for or against double-teaming in the situation we are
discussing.  It talks only about restrictions on doubling from the weak
side.  I take that to mean that sagging down to the post on the strong
side is indeed legal.  Also, I can't recall ever seeing an illegal
defense called for this action.  Perhaps the "rule change" will be to
add a clause to state specifically that such a strategy is OK.

Mark, you're a reporter, aren't you?  Your sports dept. probably has the
NBA Guide.  If you read the rule, I think you'll see what I mean about
there being *no* mention of doubling from the strong side.

Mike