Michael Holley: Walker In Boston Wants Mercer To Stay; Pitino Unsure Of Pierce Defensively At The 2 Spot

Whoops I missed this one.  Some good stuff indeed. Chris Herren
is wowing them.  Pitino second thoughts about trading the pick,
because of all the point guards????

                                [The Boston Globe Online][Boston.com]
                                [Boston Globe Online / Sports]

                                CELTICS NOTEBOOK
                                Walker pays visit to see program pay off

                                By Michael Holley, Globe Staff, 06/19/99

                                Antoine Walker loves talking about
                                basketball. Yesterday was no exception. He
                                talked about Scottie Pippen, Ron Mercer ,
                                Baron Davis, and Wayne Turner. But, he
                                said as he headed for Logan Airport,
                                basketball was not the only reason he was
                                in town.

                                ''There are some great kids in Boston,''
                                he said after giving a graduation speech
                                at The Tobin School in Roxbury. ''These
                                kids, they took the idea I had for my
                                program and really ran with it.''

                                As part of his Real Deal program, Walker
                                gave the school's eighth-grade social
                                studies class a $5,000 grant for its
                                community service, attendance, and
                                classroom participation. When he presented
                                the check in late May, he promised to
                                return for graduation. So he departed
                                Chicago for here Thursday, gave a speech
                                yesterday, and was immediately given a
                                surprise from the young people.

                                ''They were working with people from a
                                nursing home,'' Walker said. ''So after
                                they got the $5,000 from [Walker's The 8
                                Foundation], they turned around and gave
                                half of the check to that nursing home.
                                All I really wanted to do was thank them
                                for making the program successful.''

                                Walker was asked his philosophy of giving
                                speeches.

                                ''Nothing complicated,'' he said. ''I try
                                to keep everything short and sweet.''

                                Walker weighs in

                                On the basketball side of things, either
                                Walker knows something a lot of people
                                don't or he is involved in some deeply
                                wishful thinking. The Celtics captain was
                                asked what he thought of Mercer's
                                situation, since the 6-foot-7-inch guard's
                                name always seems to be mentioned in trade
                                talks. ''I don't think he's going
                                anywhere,'' he said. ''I really don't. I
                                know we don't control those type of
                                things, but I don't think he's leaving.''
                                When Mercer first got to Boston, it was
                                believed that he and Walker did not get
                                along. That certainly is not the case now.
                                The two are close friends (their lockers
                                are even side by side). ''I really want
                                Ron to stay,'' Walker said. ''He's a good
                                friend of mine. I understand that the
                                Celtics have to do what they think is the
                                best business, but I want him to stay.''
                                If the Celtics were to trade Mercer, they
                                would probably have to shift Paul Pierce
                                to shooting guard and acquire a rebounder
                                and point guard. Celtics coach Rick Pitino
                                believes that Pierce would have no problem
                                adjusting to the shooting guard position
                                on offense. But defensively, the coach
                                isn't sure if Pierce can chase the Reggie
                                Millers, Mitch Richmonds , and Allan
                                Houstons for 40 minutes a night ...
                                Confused by trade rumors in which Mercer
                                and draft picks are mentioned? Don't be.
                                Pitino said in March that he didn't mind
                                dealing away a first-rounder because the
                                team doesn't need more youth. But the
                                coach also didn't anticipate the point
                                guards who will be available to him in the
                                first six picks. ''This is definitely a
                                point guard draft,'' Walker said. Among
                                them: Davis, Steve Francis, and Andre
                                Miller. Those three could all be gone by
                                the eighth pick, which was originally
                                Boston's before it was traded to Cleveland
                                for Vitaly Potapenko. The Cavaliers
                                anouned yesterday that they exercised
                                their option to take the No. 8 choice from
                                the Celtics. Arizona's Jason Terry also
                                will be a first-rounder. Another name
                                being mentioned locally is Turner, the
                                guard from Mission Hill and the University
                                of Kentucky. ''I'm a Wayne Turner fan,''
                                Walker said.

                                Herren wows 'em

                                Fall River's Chris Herren had terrific
                                workouts in Indiana and Atlanta. He was
                                particularly impressive with the Hawks,
                                who watched him put on a clinic from
                                3-point range. Herren is being projected
                                as a point guard, too. One thing scouts
                                like about him is that his height (nearly
                                6-2) actually comes close to matching the
                                numbers in the Fresno State media guide.
                                ''Why lie?'' Herren said. ''Teams are
                                going to find out the truth. Some guys you
                                heard about in college shrunk a lot when
                                they were measured at the camps.'' One of
                                them was Stanford's Arthur Lee, who is a
                                lot closer to 6 feet than he is to his
                                listed 6-4 ... Indiana would be a nice fit
                                for Herren, projected to go in the middle
                                of the first round. Herren and his wife
                                are friendly with Pacers forward Chris
                                Mullin. Herren has stayed with Mullin a
                                few times in Indiana. Said Mullin of
                                Herren, ''Oh, he can definitely play in
                                the league; he got game.'' ... On Monday,
                                the Celtics will hold a press conference
                                to talk about their summer league.
                                Potapenko and Walker have indicated that
                                they will play here or in Los Angeles.
                                When Walker does come to town, don't
                                expect him to have the Pippen-type body
                                that Pitino said he needs to have. ''No,
                                man,'' Walker said, ''I'm just working
                                out. I'm Antoine. I'm not Scottie Pippen;
                                I'm not Karl Malone; I'm not Joe Blow.
                                Just me.'' ... Pierce will be in town
                                Monday. While here, he'll speak with a
                                group of youths at the Bird Street Youth
                                Center in Dorchester.

                                This story ran on page G09 of the Boston
                                Globe on 06/19/99.
                                © Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company.