Holley: Mercer Trade Inevitable; Anderson Not Going Anywhere

                                [The Boston Globe Online][Boston.com]
                                [Boston Globe Online / Sports]

                                Some calls ring true; others phony

                                By Michael Holley, Globe Columnist,
                                06/09/99

                                One of the worst things you can do
                                to an NBA general manager is to
                                take away his cell phone. Especially in
                                June. Take the thing away in April and the
                                guy might offer you two courtside tickets.
                                Take it in June and the conversation may
                                escalate to a heated, ''I think we need to
                                step outside and settle this.''

                                You want to know the NBA's version of a
                                Pavlovian experiment? Show a tight-lipped
                                GM a calendar already flipped to June and
                                I guarantee he will suddenly open his
                                mouth. There are no quiet GMs and Trade
                                Makers in June. That's because this is
                                their Month of Atonement. They are on
                                their cellulars constantly, talking about
                                trades they are sorry to have made, trades
                                they are sorry not to have made, trades
                                they could make that would no longer make
                                them sorry, and trades they actually made
                                before they were rejected by that sorry
                                owner.

                                I did mention the worst thing you can do
                                to a GM this month, right? Well, this is
                                the worst way to begin a sentence when
                                using that cell phone to call Rick Pitino
                                and Chris Wallace: ''Hello, I wanted to
                                talk to you guys about the availability of
                                Paul Pierce ...'' Start off like that and
                                you'll hear all this static on the other
                                end. Nothing is wrong with the phone.
                                Somebody simply hung up on you.

                                ''We're basically telling people that he
                                is an untouchable,'' said Pitino, the
                                Celtics president and coach, yesterday.
                                ''I mean, if Detroit calls and says they
                                want to trade Grant Hill for Paul, we
                                might have to talk. But, basically, he's
                                not available.''

                                He shouldn't be available. Do you realize
                                that Pierce - not Dana Barros - was the
                                team's most accurate 3-point shooter last
                                season? Most rookies struggle to make open
                                20-footers. But Pierce made 41 percent of
                                his shots from nearly 23 feet and beyond.
                                No one is saying that Pierce will become
                                the next Reggie Miller, but even Miller
                                managed only 35 percent shooting from
                                3-point range his rookie year.

                                Smart GMs know the Celtics don't want to
                                discuss dealing Pierce. But they also know
                                that mentioning Ron Mercer's name will
                                certainly not end a conversation. It's
                                been that way since Mercer's rookie year.
                                Why is that?

                                ''It's because of his contract,'' Pitino
                                said. ''He has a reasonable contract. It's
                                going to be unreasonable soon, but right
                                now it's not. If he had five years left on
                                his contract, you wouldn't hear his name
                                mentioned so much.''

                                Tim Duncan also has a reasonable contract,
                                but everyone knows not to call San Antonio
                                asking about a trade. The talk about
                                Mercer may have some contract elements,
                                but it goes beyond that. His name was
                                volleyed about in trade talk during his
                                rookie year, during the offseason between
                                his rookie year and second year, during
                                his second year, and now.

                                One rumor, which was quickly dismissed,
                                had Mercer and Kenny Anderson going to
                                Orlando for Penny Hardaway. A recent one
                                involves the Raptors, draft picks ... and
                                Mercer. ''Totally untrue,'' Pitino said.
                                ''We haven't had any discussions with the
                                Raptors. None. Not even a hint of truth
                                there.''

                                Maybe no one has talked with the Raptors
                                about Mercer, but they have talked about
                                him to some team. Or teams. You can call
                                this kind of talk ''trade rumors'' after
                                the first four or five stories, but at
                                some point you've got to call it what it
                                really is: the inevitable. I think all the
                                cell phone talk about Mercer will
                                eventually result in Mercer playing
                                somewhere else next season. And when that
                                happens, Anderson probably won't be
                                joining him in that new city. A lot of
                                fans would like the point guard to go, but
                                his home city during the season will
                                likely be Boston.

                                ''I think I'm fine,'' Anderson said
                                yesterday from his home in Atlanta. ''I
                                can't get caught up in the trade rumors.
                                Two of my best friends live in Boston.
                                They called me up and were like, `Oh, man.
                                You're going to be leaving us.' But I
                                think Coach is happy with me. I think his
                                system is perfect for me. I love the
                                situation I'm in right now.''

                                He's in a situation that many of us would
                                love. He has four years left on his
                                contract and is owed $31 million. Combine
                                those numbers with the meager ones
                                Anderson put on the court and you'll
                                understand why Pitino said, ''The chances
                                of him being traded are slim and nil.''

                                Anderson will be in town next week to work
                                out with Celtics strength coach Shaun
                                Brown. After that, the point guard said he
                                will hire a track coach to help him with
                                his speed and conditioning. When Pitino
                                heard that, he cracked, ''Who's he going
                                to hire to run for him?''

                                The coach may be bluffing, but he says he
                                doesn't believe Anderson is the problem
                                with the Celtics. ''I still trust his
                                ability,'' Pitino said. ''What I don't
                                trust is his durability.''

                                As you might expect, Anderson also doesn't
                                think he is the problem with the Celtics.
                                Last month, 76ers coach Larry Brown said
                                the problem in Boston is that the Celtics
                                ''have five guys who all want to score.''
                                Pitino agreed with that. So did Anderson.
                                The point guard also said he had no
                                problem sacrificing his scoring and
                                setting up the offense.

                                ''I know who the scorers on our team
                                should be,'' he said. ''They should be
                                Antoine Walker and Paul Pierce. We all
                                need to accept that. There's too much
                                talent on our team for us not to be in the
                                playoffs. Even my mother noticed that last
                                year. She watched us and said, `You all
                                play like you don't want to pass the
                                ball.'''

                                Every Celtic should now realize the
                                obvious. Somebody is not going to return
                                next season. Walker will probably be back.
                                ''If he averaged 16 points, 12 rebounds,
                                and 6 assists,'' Pitino said, ''he would
                                be a top three MVP candidate every year.''
                                Pierce will be back. Anderson may, too.

                                But many times this summer, GMs from
                                around the country will call Wallace and
                                Pitino on their cell phones. They will ask
                                about Mercer. They will not be
                                disconnected.

                                This story ran on page C01 of the Boston
                                Globe on 06/09/99.
                                © Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company.