Vecsey With Doc Rivers On Hardaway/Mercer/Nick Anderson

                  NY Post
                  6/8/99

                  PRESCRIPTION FOR DOC

                  By PETER VECSEY
                  <snips>

                  <Vecsey speaking with Doc Rivers>
                  "They're going to ask you whether
                  you'd approve trading Penny to the Celtics for Anderson and
                  Mercer. You better have an answer prepared," I cautioned.
                  "I already have one. I like Ron Mercer an awful lot. But you
                  don't trade a guy who has to be double-teamed for two guys who
                  don't have to be double teamed," Rivers said.
                  I congratulated him. "Good answer."
                  A couple of days ago, I relayed that conversation to Gabriel
                  and wondered whether the Penny trade question was broached. He
                  laughed.
                  "We talked about Penny, but Doc had another answer for me. He
                  said he'd defer to me, whatever I wanted to do was OK with
                  him."
                  Clearly, Rivers wanted to coach the Magic. A team that almost
                  definitely won't include the once-versatile Penny, now a
                  one-position, non-athletic player who needs a summer of
                  conditioning if he ever hopes to regain his running, jumping
                  and shooting form. Not to mention the respect of his
                  teammates, whoever they will be.
                  It's my understanding, and that of the rest of the league,
                  that Penny has played his last game for the Magic ...
                  prompting at least a half-dozen bids. You know what the
                  Celtics are offering. The Suns seem willing to part with Tom
                  Gugliotta. The Clippers (offering the No. 4 pick, a re-signed
                  Lamond Murray and Rodney Rogers) would love to have either
                  Gugliotta or Penny. The rest remain anonymous, for the time
                  being.
                  Even though it'll be impossible to get a franchise back for
                  Penny, the Magic have begun divorce proceedings, and figure to
                  trade Nick Anderson, as well, possibly to Vancouver for the
                  No. 2 pick. Former Magic coach Brian Hill remains a big fan of
                  Anderson, and the Grizzlies obviously need an established
                  off-guard.
                  "The organization's not looking to screw Penny," said somebody
                  in the know. "The only way for him to get paid the maximum
                  [$86M over seven years] is to opt out of the final four years
                  of his contract [almost $40M] and agree to play along with the
                  Magic. No, he might not get traded to the city of his choice,
                  but he'll wind up in a good place."
                  Said a club official, "We loved him for all the things he
                  wasn't. We don't know who he is today, only that he's hung
                  over on himself."