Steve Bulpett: Celtics In Shop Mode

      Boston Herald

      Celtics in shop mode
      by Steve Bulpett
      Tuesday, June 8, 1999
      CHICAGO - The NBA hopefuls will be working out on the floor of the Moody
      Bible Institute at the league's pre-draft camp. But for the Celtics, the
      real work will be happening on the balcony track that rims the three-court
      setup.
      Expecting to have just the 55th overall pick in the draft later this
      month, the Celts are not exactly here in search of the perfect choice for
      the near end of the second round. However, much of the next Celtics team
      you see could be shaped by what happens when general manager Chris Wallace
      canvasses his peers for trade possibilities.
      And far from being in a stand-pat state, the Celts are looking to shop.
      With the possible exception of Paul Pierce, pretty much any Celtic can be
      had for the right price. It's clear from the Boston ``interest'' in Penny
      Hardaway that Rick Pitino wants to talk about some big names.
      Pitino isn't here for this event, citing some team commitments, but his
      presence will be felt as Wallace seeks to make a move for the talent and
      experience the coach says is necessary for the Celtics to make the
      playoffs.
      The Hardaway deal remains highly unlikely, in that the Magic guard won't
      be opting out of his contract to come to a cold-weather city and the fact
      the Celts probably aren't ready to purchase a ticket for Hardaway's head
      trip. But there is no question Pitino enjoyed the hot stove aspect of the
      matter.
      Those coming in contact with Pitino should be prepared to see that giddy,
      glassy look in his eyes several more times this offseason as trade
      discussions float to the surface. It is important to understand at such
      times that the C's leader simply loves this stuff.
      Pitino is an aficionado of hoop gossip and when a name like Hardaway's is
      up for discussion, he is a child in a candy store. With good reason, he
      says.
      ``We have to go out and talk to every team to see what they will offer us
      for our players,'' Pitino said. ``If we were to miss something that could
      make us a better team because we weren't willing to talk about trading our
      players, then we wouldn't be doing our job.
      ``The unfortunate thing is that it gets out and it looks like you're
      trying to get rid of your players. And that's not what we're trying to do.
      What you're trying to do is see what's out there. You just talk and
      sometimes it works out. It's how Tony Battie came about - just getting on
      the phone and constantly calling. LA says, `Look, we're not going to be
      able to play Tony here. And we'll take Travis (Knight) back.' That's how
      we got a guy who can help us.''
      There won't be much help for the Celtics among the pre-draft participants,
      so they'll be trying to help themselves.