Re: Ron Mercer -Reply

Jim,

You make very good points here. I've assumed in the calculations that
every two free throws resulted from a missed shot attempt when players
are fouled. As you mention, this doesn't take into account three-point
plays ("and one"); it also doesn't take into account non-shooting fouls
when the fouling team is in a penalty situation. It's certainly not as
good as watching video and tabulating the results, but it's much better
than the typical measure of FG%.

And when you're comparing Walker and Mercer, I think Walker is the
one penalized from omitting three point plays. Mercer probably gets
more non-shooting fouls in late game situations because he is a much
better free throw shooter.

Alex