Re: Ron Mercer -Reply

>From: Alex Wang <awang@mit.edu>

>For instance, say a guy is a great inside scorer and is wonderful at
>getting inside position; as a result, opponents foul rather than give him a
>dunk. His line may be something like 2-6 FG, 12-12 FT. If they give him the
>dunk instead, his line is 8-12 FG, 0-0 FT. In each case he gets 16 points
>on 12 possessions, which is an efficient performance. But his FG% is 33% in
>the first case and 67% in the second.

How do you measure possessions in a case like this?  Since missed shots
aren't counted as attempts when the player is fouled, aren't those
possessions missing from the stats sheet?  And, to complicate matters, you
can't tell from the free throw attempts either, because some of those will
be one shot after a made basket.  To be meaningful, I think this stat would
have to count shot attempts, including those he's fouled on, which you do in
the example.  I just don't see how you can get that stat in real life.
Working from the line score you gave as an example, your player might have
had 11 or even 10 possessions, not 12,which would affect his efficiency
significantly.

Jim