Here's an article

Here's an article that I found off of the web

BOSTON CELTICS
THE PSX FILES
June 4, 1999

GETTING INSIDE

There were a lot of dollars and one Penny being discussed around the Celtics this week.

While sources on both sides indicate that it is a long shot at best, the Celts and Magic have discussed a trade that would send Ron Mercer and Kenny Anderson to Orlando for Penny Hardaway.

There is a strong belief that the Magic will move their often unhappy star, but much of that depends on the thinking of the new Orlando coach.

The Celtics, meanwhile, have questions of their own about Hardaway's attitude, but Rick Pitino said the first choice is to get Mercer signed to a contract extension. Mercer has one year left on his deal, but Pitino has not been able to learn if he will come in at a number that keeps the Celts within the budget set forth by owner Paul Gaston.

Uncertainties there have led Pitino to see what Mercer might fetch in the marketplace.

"We're talking to every team about a lot of things," Pitino said. "That's our job. But our No. 1 priority is to sign Ron Mercer to an extension. We just have to be prepared if we can't do that. If we can't sign Ron, then we want to have some options available to us."

Hardaway might not be an option for a lot of reasons. Primarily, Hardaway. The talent but leadership-shy scorer has said he does not want to play in a cold-weather city. And to make a deal with the Celtics or anyone else work, Hardaway would have to opt out of his contract and then agree to a sign-and-trade transaction.

As for Mercer, Pitino said the Celts could well play out their hand next year and keep him even without an extension.

"We're not afraid to let him go into the last year of his contract," Pitino said.

In the summer of 2000, the Celtics would still be able to pay Mercer more than any other team.

Regarding the extension possibilities, Pitino said: "We've had no negotiations at all. His camp is different than any we've ever dealt with. It's the antithesis of some of the others you deal with. We spoke to their group and said basically, `Let us know what you think.' Then we never heard back from them. They told us they were going to get to us, but they're in no rush. So if they're in no rush, then we're in no rush. We've been to them two or three times and they said they'd get back to us and they haven't. We've let Ron know that they haven't gotten back to us."

Meanwhile, Pitino has been canvassing his Hardaway sources to learn as much as he can about the multi-talented player, who seems to have trouble in a leadership role (on consecutive days after the Magic's playoff elimination, he said he wanted to leave and to stay). Before it is over, the Celts may have to decide whether Hardaway can play for Pitino and how the chemistry would work. At this point, the club has simply let the Magic know they'd like to talk more.

"It doesn't even mean we're going to go through with anything," Pitino said. "We're just trying to see what's out there for us. Right now, we don't think that Orlando is doing something with Penny Hardaway, but if they were, we would want to find out whether it's worthwhile for the Celtics to do.

"They're on record as saying they need to have a heart-to-heart talk with Penny. So when they do that and they figure what they're going to do, if they're letting Penny go, then they would probably call us. They'd probably call 10 other teams, too."

NOTES, QUOTES, ANECDOTES

Pitino will be part of a blue-ribbon panel put together by the NBA to discuss potential changes in the game to make it more exciting.

The NBA office has put together a group that is expected to include coaches, general managers, current players and former players. They are expected to meet some time in the next few weeks in New York to offer and consider possible solutions to the low-scoring product that has developed.

While it is also possible that there may be no changes forthcoming from the meeting, the league is certainly interested in the brainstorming session.

"I think it's just the same scenario it was maybe eight or 10 years ago in football where there has to be certain rule changes to allow more scoring, more offensive productivity," said Pitino. "We all have our ideas on how to do that. I certainly have some very strong sentiments. So do other people. We'll hash it out and see what happens."

One of the items sure to be on Pitino's list is a rule that would penalize teams from holding up players trying to cut through the lane and set screens. He believes the game has slowed down because the offensive players are being slowed by grabby defenses.

"You have to let people screen and cut," Pitino said. "The more you allow people to move in basketball, the more fluid the game is, the more scoring there is." ...

The Celts on Wednesday concluded a two-day free agent camp, with CBA MVP Adrian Griffin, Penn's Ira Bowman, former UConn guard Kevin Ollie and Rice power forward Brent Scott looking the best. Donny Marshall, formerly of UConn and the Cavaliers, did well also, but there is a question as to whether he'll be invited to join the Celtics at the LA Summer League.

Among the other involved were point guard Tyson Wheeler, center Todd Lindemann, former Boston College center Mickey Curley and guard Terence Rencher.

The Celts also looked at 7-3 Aleksander Radojevic from Barton County Community College, who figures to go in the first round of the draft -- well ahead of the Celts' pick (No. 55 overall).

QUOTE TO NOTE: "We have to be ready for anything." -- Pitino, on all the trade talk.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

Rick Pitino has said he wants the Celtics to become older, but he's added that he won't change the roster simply for the sake of change.

That differs from when he arrived and said he needed different people to rid the club of the defeatist feeling that had developed -- particularly in the 15-win season that preceded him immediately.

The belief is that everyone but Paul Pierce might be available if the package is right. And with the Celtics holding attractive young talent, sources have said the club will get to field some very decent offers for the likes of Ron Mercer and Antoine Walker.

DRAFT OUTLOOK: The Celtics currently have just the 55th overall pick. And while they don't expect to get much there, they will still be working potential picks out. A trade involving draft choices is a possibility, but, as Pitino has said, he doesn't necessarily want to get younger.

FREE AGENT UPDATE: Damon Jones did well as a late-season point guard pickup, and the Celts definitely will look to keep him around. Eric Riley can cement a place on the team if he shows Pitino he is willing to work hard this summer. Marlon Garnett is iffy at best for next season, having shown he is more of a shooting guard (at just 6-2) than a point. Bruce Bowen is iffy, as well, especially after Greg Minor came on near the end of the season.

ROTATION REVIEW: Starters -- Point guard Kenny Anderson (12.1 ppg, 5.7 apg); Off guard Ron Mercer (17.0 ppg); Small forward Paul Pierce (16.5 ppg, 1.71 spg, 6.4 rpg); Power forward Antoine Walker (18.7 ppg, 8.5 rpg); Center Vitaly Potapenko (10.8 ppg, 7.2 rpg with Celts). Bench -- Guard Dana Barros (9.3 ppg, 4.2 apg, 23.1 mpg); Guard Damon Jones (5.8 ppg); Guard/Forward Greg Minor (4.9 ppg); Forward Popeye Jones (18 gp); Forward Walter McCarty (5.7 ppg); Forward/Center Tony Battie (6.7 ppg, 1.42 bpg); Center Eric Riley (2.2 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 9.6 mpg).

MEDICAL WATCH: Pervis Ellison (ankle surgery), Greg Minor (right hip fracture) and Popeye Jones (left knee surgery) ended the season on the injured list.

Copyright (c) 1999 Pro Sports Xchange

All Rights Reserved. Reprints, duplication or redistribution is prohibited without written permission from Pro Sports Xchange