McDonough: Lewis Tested Positive; ML Depressed Over Duncan

                                [The Boston Globe Online][Boston.com]
                                [Boston Globe Online / Sports]

                                Damaging testimony in the Lewis case?

                                By Will McDonough, Globe Columnist,
                                06/05/99
                                <snips>
                                Dr. Job Fuchs told the Northeastern
                                News this week that he will
                                testify in court that Reggie Lewis tested
                                positive for cocaine while he played
                                basketball at the school.

                                This is bad news for both the Celtics and
                                Reggie's widow, Donna Harris-Lewis, who
                                filed a malpractice suit against three
                                doctors who had treated Lewis.

                                Fuchs, who has flip-flopped in the past
                                about whether Lewis tested positive in
                                1987, told reporter Mike Trocchi: ''I
                                think it was pretty clear that he tested
                                positive on the first test. A few days
                                later he tested negative.''

                                In 1990 and '91, while playing for the
                                Celtics, Lewis signed three insurance
                                applications, totaling $17 million.

                                On the applications, Lewis was asked if he
                                ''ever'' had used marijuana, cocaine, etc.
                                Lewis said no.

                                If Fuchs is correct - and his testimony
                                will be supported by others from
                                Northeastern - this becomes a $17 million
                                fraud.

                                It also contradicts the testimony of
                                Harris-Lewis that her late husband never
                                used drugs, that it was against Reggie's
                                ''philosophy.''

                                The Celtics could find themselves at risk
                                for $5 million. This comes on the heels of
                                their last financial report, which stated
                                that the Boston Celtics Limited
                                Partnership, which owns 48.3 percent of
                                the team, lost $8.5 million in the last
                                six months of '98.

                                Harris-Lewis is being paid close to $12
                                million from those insurance policies,
                                which are covered under the statute of
                                limitations. However, the last policy for
                                $5 million is not, and the insurance
                                company will have an open door to try to
                                recoup that money.

                                Former NU athletic director Irwin Cohen
                                has said all along that Fuchs told him in
                                1987 that both Lewis and teammate Andre
                                LaFleur tested positive for cocaine. And
                                Karl Fogel, who was the NU coach at the
                                time, told the school newspaper that
                                LaFleur came to him a few days after the
                                test and told him that he and Lewis had
                                tested positive. Fogel told the paper he
                                talked to Lewis about the tests.

                                Fuchs said he expects to be called by the
                                defense lawyers in the next couple of
                                weeks.

                                M.L. Carr doesn't find it easy watching
                                Tim Duncan become the best player in the
                                NBA in less than two years. ''I think of
                                what might have been and it hurts,'' says
                                Carr, thinking back to the day a couple of
                                years ago when he and Celtics publicist
                                Jeff Twiss went to New Jersey, confident
                                they were going to bring back Duncan and
                                start a new dynasty in Boston. ''Jeff and
                                myself went down for the draft lottery,''
                                remembers Carr. ''We had a higher
                                percentage of chances than anyone else to
                                get the top pick, and Duncan. He is the
                                guy we coveted. I didn't think we would
                                miss him. And when we did, a little piece
                                of me died. I took a lot of bullets
                                [coaching the year before] hoping we could
                                get this kid, and it just didn't work
                                out.'' San Antonio ended up with the first
                                pick and took Duncan, who is now the
                                cornerstone of that team. ''When we got to
                                New York, I was very confident we were
                                going to get the top pick,'' says Twiss.
                                ''We had two lottery picks, and two
                                expansion teams, Vancouver and Toronto,
                                couldn't pick if they were in the top
                                three. But I started to worry in the
                                warmup. They had a mock draft to show us
                                how the real one was going to go, and San
                                Antonio wound up with the first pick in
                                the mock draft. My palms started to sweat.
                                Then, when they won it again, I couldn't
                                believe it. We could have come out of that
                                draft with Duncan and Keith Van Horn, and
                                instead we ended up with the third and
                                sixth picks, when we had a chance for one
                                and two.'' Carr says Duncan is everything
                                he thought he would be: ''He is a dominant
                                player. He can run the floor. Passes out
                                of the post. Has a nice jump hook. Can
                                step outside and hit the jump shot. Can go
                                either way. If I brought him home there'd
                                be a second statue in Faneuil Hall right
                                beside Red [Auerbach], and that guy would
                                be waving a towel.''

                                The Celtics may bring a WNBA team to
                                Boston, but it won't be for another three
                                years. Rick Pond, the Celtics' chief
                                operating officer, says the team has been
                                doing all of its financial homework and
                                doesn't have the right formula yet. ''The
                                big drawback is that most of the [teams]
                                that have WNBA teams own their own
                                buildings. We don't. We are tenants in the
                                FleetCenter. The present teams in the WNBA
                                have their own buildings, and the new
                                teams being added this year all have new
                                buildings. I don't see us being able to do
                                anything until 2002 at the earliest, but
                                we do have a strong interest, and if we
                                can make it feasible financially, then we
                                will want to do it.'' What Pond is saying
                                is that it is much easier for a team like
                                the Knicks, who are owned by the company
                                that owns Madison Square Garden, to bring
                                in a women's team, because the
                                concessions, souvenirs, etc., are all
                                owned by the same entity. In the
                                FleetCenter, which is owned by Delaware
                                North (which owns the Bruins), all of the
                                concessions, etc., go to the FleetCenter,
                                not the Celtics. Therefore, it doesn't
                                make as much sense for the Celtics to jump
                                into the WNBA right away. In fact, the
                                Celtics were thinking about putting a WNBA
                                team in Hartford because it would be
                                cheaper, but the league wants the WNBA
                                squads to play in the same city as their
                                brother teams.

                                This story ran on page G1 of the Boston
                                Globe on 06/05/99.
                                © Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company.