Re: Smith, Vecsey on rumors. . .

> Subject: Smith, Vecsey on rumors. . .
> Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 09:42:02 -0400
> From: "Thomas Murphy" <tfmiii@worldnet.att.net>
> To: "Celtic list" <celtics@igtc.com>
>
> The Sam Smith rumor certainly smacks of home-town bias. The Bulls give up
> the #1 in an admittedly weak draft and receive both Ron Mercer AND Tracy
> McGrady?!? Give me a break!

Smith is intertwined in the Bulls mythos.

> Given the imbalance of that scenario (as well as Warwick's intelligent
> comments on the strong relationship between McGrady and ROY Vince Carter) I
> think a much more plausible scenario - no inside info here, just
> plausibility - would be Toronto swaps the #5 and #12 for the #1 which
> Chicago sends to Boston for Mercer.

Well, that would be more logical, or perhaps a Doug Christie substituted
for McGrady.

> Why? Toronto gets Steve Francis, the Bulls get Mercer - who WOULD have been
> the #1 pick had he stayed in college but now has the additional value of 2
> years NBA experience, and the Celts - who actually get OLDER if they draft
> seniors - presumably draft either senior PG Andre Miller or senior PG Jason
> Terry at #5 and either the "nimble" 7-3 Radojevic or six-year senior PF/C
> (6-11, 245) Evan Eschmeyer at #12. Everyone's got an opinion on the PGs and
> you've heard about Radojevic's upside but Eschmeyer already has a pro body,
> is an extremely hard worker who is not shy about mixing it up, and is
> reportedly a very intelligent player. He would presumably start at PF.

Terry versus Miller; Radojevic versus Eschmeyer.  Hmmm.  I was a big
Terry fan
at one time, but I slid over into the Miller camp, perhaps the result of
Fats Lever flashbacks.  Miller would bring more of a physical presence
to the point than Terry, perhaps not as quick however.  Eschmeyer may be
terrific.  These personnel guys have a tendency to over-emphasize speed
and quickness.  It's basketball, not track after all, and it's the power
forward position, not point guard.  Having said that, injuries are a
factor,
and Eschy may not be quick enough in a Pitino system.  Radojevic has
fine
offensive skills and is fundamentally well trained.  Plus, he's 7-3, and
a good passer, so he should be able to find people for open jumpers. And
think of the mismatches a 7-3 power forward with offensive skills
creates.

I envision the Boston Celtics playing the World Champion Spurs next
season
with Miller smacking around Johnson; Pierce doing the same to San
Antonio's
shooting guard; Walker punishing Sean Elliot; Duncan having to shoot
over
a guy four inches taller, and Potapenko banging Robinson.  Not bad.
And toss in Wayne Turner and Rodney Rogers for more mayhem...
Ray

<snips>