Re: dilettantish-Reply-Reply again

Well I agree about Pierce being a 3 as well.  The real question is, IMO,
if Pierce is a 3 who will have problems at the 2, then keep Mercer and
trade Walker or Pierce.  Walker is projected to play the 3 next year,
Pierce at the 2 and Mercer some other city.  The bond between Mercer and
Pitino appears to be broken so Mercer is on his way out.  He appears
sick of the "teachers pet" problem with Walker, though Mercer is keeping
his mouth shut, unlike Pitino who has been taking shots at him in the
paper.

I'd prefer to keep Mercer at 2, Pierce at 3 and trade Walker for a big
time 1 or 4, preferably a 4.  A 3 needs to shoot from the outside and
slash to the hoop for rebounds or scoring.  Who can/would you rather see
doing that Walker or Pierce?

For Pitino to flip from having Walker build up to a Malone type body to
now a Pippen type body is bizarre.  Was this Walker's choice? or
Pitino's?, Falk's?  Pierce is already a Pippen like body with similar
fluid movement.

Is Pierce a better player then Walker?  Not yet.  But with legit
refereeing, one on one, I'd put my money on Pierce down the line.

But it's not up to me and as long as Pitino, who I still like many
things about, is with the Celt's, everyone on the team will be second
fiddle to Walker and how/where he want's to play.  I believe Walker to
be a very talented "tweener" who doesn't make anyone on this current
team better.  Not because he can't, but won't or rather hasn't.  Maybe
the chemistry doesn't work, hopefully yet.  But the team sure flowed
better with Walker out injured.

Does anyone think it will flow better with Mercer out and Walker at the
3?

<Jim

<I second Josh and Gene wholeheartedly.  Pierce is clearly a "3," where
<his size / quickness / shooting mixture creates matchup problems for
<opponents.  If he were to play the "2" on a full time basis...well,
again I'll
<reiterate my agreement with Josh and Gene.

I just hope that they can find a way to sign Mercer.  I would much
rather
keep the nucleus intact than engage in wholesale roster overhauls every
year.  If ever a year there was not to have a draft pick, this is it.
Someone needs to let Pitino (aka Trader Rick) know that stability is
what
breeds consistency.

Ryan

>>> "Gene Kirkpatrick" <gkir@tjc.tyler.cc.tx.us> 06/04/99 11:11am >>>
Josh, glad to see you agree with me on Pierce being a #3 and not a #2.
 I think the Mercer thing might work out to keep him.  He's not a
fool, is he?  To think he is worth Walker bucks?  I would make him a
nice offer contingent on his accepting an equal role with Pierce as #2
 option.  I'm hoping we concentrate on the #4 position and let the
other positions remain as is.

Cheers,  Gene

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature