Vecsey

Great article about what a sleazeball Pete Vecsey is.  I remember a few
years ago when during the halftime telecast of a primetime Saturday
game on NBC, Vecsey--citing anonymous sources--broke the "story"
that Shawn Kemp revealed to his teammates that he was an alcoholic
during a team meeting, and that this "problem" was contributing to his
poor play during his final year with Seattle.

The story prompted an immediate response from Kemp, Payton, et al from
the Sonics, categorically denying the allegations.  Further, Payton
explicitly denied that Kemp had made any statement that might have been
remotely construed as such.  He went on to flat-out call Vecsey a liar,
and challenged him to reveal his sources.

During the Sunday game (the next day), Vecsey stood firm behind his
ostensible "scoop."  The other NBC  broadcasters (apparently having a
tad more journalistic integrity) pressed him for more information about the
story, and made references to Kemp's / Payton's unequivocal denial.
Vecsey was adamant about the accuracy of the story, but it quickly
went away, and ended up not being true.  For the record, he never made
any sort of retraction or apology, despite the slanderous nature of his
insinuations.

I always disliked his short-lived column in USA Today, but after the Kemp
incident, I can't take anything that he says seriously.  Lest I be mistaken
for a Kemp fan, I assure you that I am not, but that specific incident
always bothered me.

Sorry to rant on about something unrelated to the Celtics, but I've
probably referenced that "Pete Vecsey" memory dozens of times when
explaining to my friends what I think about the validity of his analytical
insight.  95% of what this guy spouts is complete "BS."

Ryan