Re: Smith, Vecsey on rumors. . .

Hi Thomas:  I'd also cautiously favor this scenario (#5 and #12 picks for
Mercer), but I'm still not convinced Ron (or, more to the point, his imminent
contract extension) is worth two lottery picks -or the #1 overall- to the
MiseraBulls. Anyway, Chris Wallace sounds like he's not looking in that
direction (the draft).

Also, even if seniors Andre Miller or Jason Terry turn out to be steals at the
#5 pick (quite possible IMHO), we'd still have a virtually unmoveable 30
million dollar, 4 year commitment on Kenny Anderson. A guy with his salary,
non-winning record, and stats (11ppg + 6apg) would probably have to be packaged
with a young prospect (Mercer or Battie, I guess) if we seek to get back any
value in return. It seemed that every time Kenny's name came up this year in
the non-local media, it was always attached to phrases like "poor defender",
"too frail", "not well-conditioned" etc. Then again, maybe Portland's
billionaire owner might take Kenny back in exchange for one of his
high-salaried team "cancers". I think 8 million is darn close to the average
salary of the Portland bench. :-)

-------