Re: base year compensation

It is actually the other way round:

Let's take Walkers example:
Walker is a base year compensation player with  a 70 mill contract. Now
 Walker (in his first year i.e. after july) can be traded to a team for
a player who makes as much money
  = max(1/3(base year salary, last years salary);
In his 2nd year the formulae changes to:
   = max(1/2(base year salary, 2 previous years salary)
and so on.

The problem is to find a player who is good and is paid less money, but
other base year compensation players can very well be traded for
Walker. Now all one has to do is find another trigger happy GM like
Rick Pitino.
                     - Mishra