RE: This is the mentality of Celtics fans

No disrespect intended, but I have two responses:

1)  Since when is Lorenzen Wright the second coming of Tim Duncan?

2) How is it that you personally are so sure that we won't get him?

What inside connections do you have that you can so categorically state that
Wright's not coming to Boston?  Unless you have the inside line to management,
everything's heresay and reporters scrambling for anything they can get until
Sunday when reality will strike.  I'm not saying that he _is_ coming to Boston,
I'm just saying it makes more sense and probably has a higher probability to
occur than you think.  But that's conjecture for me, too.  I have no idea what's
going to happen.

Do you, Josh, think that getting Samaki Walker and a pick is a) a good trade for
the 99-'00 team, and b) the best we can get for Mercer, and c) better than
letting Mercer play out his contract and try to get a better deal for him before
the trading deadline?

Frankly, given Boston's needs and status, it'd be a great fit for Wright.  He'd
get major PT on a team with talent that needs exactly what he has to offer, ie
rebounding, blocks, and no evidence of a need to take 20 shots/night.  He'd get
good money through the sign/trade deal, and LA would get both something in
return for him, which they won't if he just walks, and a legitimate backcourt
player in Ron Mercer, something they need desperately.

Smacky did have one 20-rebound game.  It was the last game of his second season,
which ended on January 24, 1998.  Guess he hurt himself on #20.  If you want to
be real idealistic, you could argue that because he didn't get his extension,
and because of the lockout, and because he's not too smaht, he didn't represent
himself well, played in a funk, Nelson didn't like him, they were showcasing
Trent, whatever.  I hope that's the case, particularly if we trade for him.
Additionally, I'd be psyched if Pitino did, as was published, bring Smacky in
for a workout.  That would be a first.

Additionally, when has Pitino done the rumored thing?  We did not know about the
Radja trade until it happened.  Ditto the Mills signing, ditto
Knight/DeClercq/Bowen, Anderson got a little press, Battie did not, Potapenko
was a last minute deal.  He's a psycho-security guy.  Another reason to believe
that this Samaki thing may just be a smoke-screen.  If they sign him for the $2
mil exception (name me one other team, including Dallas, who would pay more than
$2 mil for Smacky), that's fine.

Mercer?  As I've stated all along, I would be appalled until proven otherwise if
he goes to Dallas in the proposed deal.

And hey, I've got the best prediction record on the list right now, don't I?  I
was Mr. 20-win pessimist.  ;)  Sorry.

Chris Littlefield

Josh Ozersky <josh_ozersky@yahoo.com> on 07/30/99 10:41:02 AM

 To:      John Lyell <Jlyell@concentric.net>, Chris
          Littlefield/Lycos@Lycos, Alex Wang <awang@mit.edu>

 cc:      Joshua Ozersky <jozersky@stny.rr.com>,
          "celtics@igtc.com" <celtics@igtc.com>

 Subject: RE: This is the mentality of Celtics fans

First:  LA WILL NOT GIVE US LORENZEN WRIGHT!

Second:  Samaki does have one or two 20+ rebound games
to his credit, if I'm not mistaken.

yrs