Re: Samaki and the other Walker

Gene Kirkpatrick wrote:

> I think SW has more potential than most of you.  He's one I've watched
> with interest for the past few years (I get most of the Mavs games in
> my area).  He does need a chance and I don't think he has had a decent
> chance in Dallas, he needs coaching and confidence, but he doesn't
> lack ability.  He has a tremendous body for a pf and is able to backup
> at center.  While he may be somewhat deficient in the mental dexterity
> category, I still think he could be a very positive force for us.
>
> Having said that, if Billups and Mercer go, can Antoine be far
> behind?  I think our Coach will not wait much longer for Walker to
> show maturity and leadership.  If he continues the better shot
> selection, etc. of this past year, good, but our future has to be
> built on dependable players/leaders and right now that's Pierce and
> Potapenko.  I want Walker to stay, but . . .
>
> Gene  (still hasn't cracked 100 in Tx)

Hi Gene:

If Rick Pitino fails to extract at least a first rounder in exchange for
taking free-agent Spank-me off Don Nelson's hands, I would conclude this
trade is some sort of NBA-mandated payback for the Montross/Samaki for
Antoine/Mercer heist three years ago. In any case, it seems like an
admission by Pitino that we might not be playoff-ready any time soon
(especially if we also include our only veteran forward in Popeye) but at
least Celts fans can look forward to a pair of lotto picks next June.

If there is another Mav's contract involved, I hope it isn't this
Antz-in-my-pants guy. He had a career game against Pitino, but so did
Dontae Jones in the Final Four. I say we at least demand the rights to
1999 Mav's draft pick Zhi Zhi Wang. That kid really needs to be in
America, not serving time in the Chinese People's Liberation Army.

I still refuse to believe this trade will go down exactly as reported. On
the face of it, it seems like poor negotiating on our part. Given a choice
between Lorenzen Wright and Spank-me, I would only prefer the latter
option if there is at least a faint glimmer of a Tim Duncan-calibre player
out on the draft lottery horizon. But it's already clear that this is not
the case (uh, Chris Mihm anyone?).

Two players who I suppose might have been lottery picks this past June
(had they declared) are big guards Terence Morris and Michael Redd. I love
Mark Madson and Kenyon Martin also, but not as a lottery pick. I've never
seen Mateen Cleaves or Khalid El Amin do anything that great. In the end
(as is the case every single year),  the lotto will end up being stocked
with freshmen and sophomores whom we've heard less about. In 2000, there
are actually a lot of guys with NBA size and athleticism who could blossom
as sophomores, for example that Minnesota shot blocker everyone has
compared to Kevin McHale (including himself). A lot of people say incoming
Duke freshman Carlos Boozer will be better than Elton Brand.

The best college player I saw last season was Depaul freshman Quentin
Richardson. His problem is that he's a "tweener". He's somewhere between
Barkley and Pierce in terms of height. Before I discovered what his actual
height was, I felt convinced he was the greatest 18-year-old basketball
talent I had seen in this decade. Picture an Antoine Walker-type
rebounder/outside bomber except with far more mature shot selection, plus
paint moves so polished you'll simply get flashbacks of a young Chris
Webber (who arguably has better hands than even Jerry Rice). Against a
top-five team like Cincy, I watched Richardson work over bruisers Pete
Mikael and Kenyon Martin like a machine, then move out and swish every
perimeter shot he took, plus he must have grabbed 20 rebounds. The
announcers couldn't stop praising what an unselfish player and mature kid
he is. He even has his own Web site (which I've seen), where he praises
all his coaches at length going all the way back to late elementary
school.

Joe

Question:  If an unrestricted free agent benchwarmer like Spank-me (14
minutes per game on a weak frontline) command this much apparent trade
value even when it's clear to both sides he will refuse to re-sign with
his present team, then why in the world is Pitino so desperate to trade
Mercer before his contract expires in 12 months?  Reading Don Nelson's
quotes in the Dallas Morning News actually made me feel nauseous...like a
nightmare slowly coming true. I can imagine how the real Mercer fans on
this list are feeling. BTW, so far Nellie's not even conceding a first
round pick! I pray the Mir satelite comes crashing directly on Nellie's
shagadelic Maui pleasure palace before this deal can be completed.

Pitino seems anxious to stack his frontline with "great physical specimen,
laughable instincts & judgement" reclamation projects like McCarty,
Battie,Walker, Shi-tzu, Riley et al.  I guess it is the challenge/belief
in his own coaching skills that makes Pitino choose long & lean
athleticism over instincts. In the end, maybe Pitino believes his system
only succeeds with NBA players who are not just young and highly
impressionable, but also verging on being mentally retarded.  I mean how
many sub-60% freethrow shooters do we actually plan to put on the court at
one time next year? How many drooling morons do we need flapping their
arms to no avail on the press defense while running their own fast breaks
like chickens with their heads cut off?

I know I'm being harsh. I might even contradict every thing I just wrote
in my very next post. :-) In general, it is stupid to judge a trade before
it actually happens. I wish it were already August 1st.

---------