No Subject

I suggest we follow up on Jim Mennino's hunch and actually try planting
breaking "trade news" on this list. For instance, how about: "Mercer and
Anderson for Michael Finley and Smack-me."

I wouldn't be surprised if this rumor appears the same day on one or more
of the more rinky-dink Web sites, prefaced by: "Several of my sources in
Boston who are  familiar with but not directly linked with the Celtics
organization are now reporting the following trade developments...."

Joe

N.B. I'm personally relieved that Pitino told Jim Rome that the Vinnie
Baker deal is off.  As for Pitino saying that Pierce "proved" he can play
the two, I regard this with suspicion. IMO, it's either spin to make the
eventual Mercer trade sound more palatable, or it's a clear-cut case of
wishful thinking based on limited evidence. If Pierce was actually
playing fulltime at guard as now reported, that means Clack, Griffin and
Bowen were playing almost exclusively at forward. If you look at the FILA
roster, it was 2 regular big men and about 8 guards. McCarty really only
started playing at the end, after Pierce had already left.

BTW, does anyone actually find Jim Rome cool? I find him hands down the
most irritating personality covering sports. He must have been even more
insufferable as a college fratboy.

--------