No Subject

-----Original Message-----
From: David G. Morgan <morgan@HIWAAY.NET>
To: CAT-CHAT@LSV.UKY.EDU <CAT-CHAT@LSV.UKY.EDU>
Date: Wednesday, July 28, 1999 11:18 PM
Subject: Brush with Greatness

>While checking in at the Nashville Airport last week on the way to Yosemite
for a hiking trip, who did I run into but Ron Mercer.  I noticed a guy (with
diamond earrings and a Louis-Vitton shoulder bag) checking in the first
class section.  I thought, man, that guy must have some bucks.  Looking
closer, he looked awfully familiar.  I walked closer, and, yes, it was Ron
Mercer.  I introduced myself as a huge UK fan (of course) and asked if he
enjoyed the 96 v. 98 game the week before.  He was by himslef and was very
polite, but sort of quiet.  He said he really enjoyed seeing all of the guys
and had been in town visiting family.  I asked him how coach Pitino was and
he said he was the same old coach P.

>One really stupid question I asked was how he liked playing in the NBA.
Duh!  Yeah, its a real grind and they don't pay you squat!  He said (of
course) he enjoyed it.  I thanked him for his time and wished him and the
Celtics much success next season.  I said I hoped he got to play a full one
next time!

>I saw him again at our gate.  He was on the same plane to LA as we were.  I
wondered to myself what he was doing going to LA.  But, I guess if you have
Millions of $$$, you can fly to LA to visit a favorite bookstore or
something like that!  His contract is about up with Boston, and I heard he
was not happy with the money they were going to offer, so, maybe he is
shopping around.  Maybe he was going to visit Phil Jackson and try to cut a
deal with the Lakers?  Whatever the reason, it was great to meet him and
chat with him for a minute.  I know my wife would have loved to have those
earrings of his.  Must have been two carats apiece!   No, I didn't get his
autograph.  I feel funny asking, because no matter how famous, he is just a
guy who plays basketball for the Celtics, and maybe he was glad that someone
(for once) didn't ask for it.  Shaking his hand and wishing him well was
enough.