Re: three way for Baker?

Correct me if you should, but Ron Mercer's involvement in a three-way trade
scenario is mentioned nowhere. It is pure speculation.

Hopefully, Sam Smith's 3-way scenario involving only Antoine Walker is also pure
speculation (even if it has also been mentioned by other newspapers and hinted
at by both Pitino and Jersey Red). If this trade actually goes down on August
1st, IMO Jerry Krause truly is a reincarnation of Red Auerbach (although
ingeniously disguised in a whiny, wheezing, slobbish, triple-chin exterior). If
dreams come true, then Krause is a week away from restocking the Bulls around
two young and complementary rebounder/scorers in Brand and Antoine at the cost
of a mid first-rounder (Artest) and a girlie-man forward who might go back to
Europe soon (Kukoc). In Sam Smith's vivid imagination, the Bulls will also have
chunks of money to add two more players dying to wear the Bulls uniform in Grant
Hill and Tim Duncan. It's almost worth switching team allegiances.

IMHO, Sam Smith's condescension over the Celtics inability to rebuild since the
Bird era will fade away once he realizes that  1) the historically Horri-bulls
have utterly no distinct championship identity separate from the singular #23;
and 2) Krause has no Auerbach mystique among GM's or players.

This may sound very parochial as usual, but a huge difference between the
reasonably credible Celtics Pride mystique versus that of the Bulls or Flakers
is that 1) we have a double figure lead in championship banners; 2) we've won
through genuine coaching innovations and genuine team play; 3) our superstar 4th
quarter clutch scorer was invariably also our best passer, rebounder and
competitor throughout the game.

Assuming the Bulls are a willing conduit, that is why we so desperately need to
dump Antoine Walker in order to sign-and-trade a Vin Baker for even more money.
IMO Antoine's had his fair chance in Boston and now he's already 22-years-old
for cripes sake yet he's only made one measly All Star appearance. Pitino has
promises to keep (playoffs in 3 years, major changes in the off-season etc.)
that lately seem as or more important to some Celtics fans than building a
viable, long-term, championship contender to look forward to over the next ten
years. I say let the coach who replaces Pitino next season worry about having
two veterans (Kenny and Vinnie) who together will consume more than half of our
12-player salary cap. ML Carr can have his vindication.

----