Cousin Vinnie

The Seattle Times reports (Tuesday, 20 July) that 'Cuz Vinnie is getting
in great shape and plans to remain out in "Mocha Frapaccino" land.

----------

Baker is undergoing a transformation - back to his former self. After
shedding 15 pounds through an exercise regimen, the power forward is
starting to resemble the player who combined quickness and strength to
become an NBA All-Star.

He has helped the U.S. team win its first five games of the Pre-Olympic
Qualifying Tournament of the Americas, held at Roberto Clemente
Coliseum. Baker had eight points in 16 minutes last night as the U.S.
beat the Dominican Republic 107-71. "He's doing well," said Larry Brown,
who coaches the U.S. team. "I think  he wants to prove a point that last
year was a fluke. So he's come in shape and he's playing hard. I'm proud
of him."

Baker's harrowing season - his worst ever - stemmed from entering
training camp out of shape. After taking a week off, the 27-year-old
started an exercise regimen befitting a Navy Seal. He trained twice a
day with Dwight Daub, strength and conditioning coach for the Sonics. In
the morning, Baker sprinted for about 20  minutes and rode the
Stair-Master for about 45 minutes.

"Right now, he's working out every day," said point guard Gary Payton,
Baker's best friend on the Sonics and a teammate on the U.S. squad. "He
can still go out and have fun, but he understands that he has to get up
in the morning and work out, and that's what he's doing this summer."

At night, Baker shot baskets - especially free throws - before lifting
weights.

"It wasn't hard because there was motivation," said Baker, who still
needs to shed about 10 pounds to get back to his ideal playing weight.
"I want to get back to the way I played before this season. I'm even
looking forward to after the tournament, getting back to my routine."

After averaging 13.5 points last season, Baker exercised a clause in his
contract to become a free agent. Instead of his value decreasing, he is
looking at a maximum contract with Seattle of $87.5 million over seven
years.

"We're convinced Vin will return to his form of the previous years,"
said General Manager Wally Walker, who flew here Thursday to visit
Payton and Baker. "He's got tremendous pride. His skill level is still
extraordinary, and he's just too good of a player to not come back."

Walker intends to rebuild the Sonics around Payton and Baker, in keeping
with the idea that championship teams have two superstars.

Seattle last went to the NBA Finals in 1996, with Payton and Kemp. Until
the Sonics have similar success with Baker, negative comparisons will
follow him like his long shadow.

But Walker has no doubt that Baker will flourish once again.

In early June, Baker had a 10 a.m. flight from Seattle to Connecticut.
Walker came to work at the Sonic practice facility around 7:30 a.m., and
Baker was there, getting in an early workout before leaving for Sea-Tac
Airport.

"When I saw that," Walker said, "I knew he would back up his words with
actions."

During the offseason, Baker has mused about playing for the Boston
Celtics or Miami Heat. Both scenarios are because of his family
situation. Baker is close to a grandmother, who lives in Florida. And
Baker always has been intrigued with returning home and playing for the
Celtics. His father, James, recently discovered  he had a heart ailment.
Baker plans to have his father move to Seattle.

"I definitely want to return to Seattle," Baker said. "I think it's a
great situation for me. Gary is my best friend, and I have unproven
business there.

"That's my main motivation. To start over again, that's not what I'm
really looking for."