Pro Sports X-Change

Kris Clack has been on an amusement-park ride since the moment he was selected by the Celtics in the second round of the draft. The L.A. Pro Summer League is just the latest stop.

"It's been wild," Clack said.

It got truly wild when the first round of the aforementioned draft passed by without his name being mentioned.

"There was a lot of anxiety and then excitement," he said.

But in the twisted world of the NBA, the wrenching and exhausting time has landed him in a place that fits him well. So as the ride continues, the 6-5 (in sneakers, as measured at the Chicago pre-draft camp) guard from Austin, Texas, expressed gratitude at the way the long draft night's journey into professional basketball worked out.

"I think it ended up right for me," said Clack, who stayed at home and did four years at the University of Texas. "The style they play fits what I can do. They're kind of an up and down the floor kind of team. They get up on people on defense, and that's my game.

"I'm just excited. I'm glad to get an opportunity with a good coach and a bunch of young, athletic guys like myself. I'll just be trying to help out the team any way possible.

"It's a great situation when you look at what they have there. They have a lot of young guys who know how to win. That's something you look for."

On draft night, Clack was looking for a call much earlier than the 55th overall pick. The consensus was that if he strayed out of the late first round it wouldn't be too far.

Sitting in a hotel in Austin, he wasn't sure what to think.

"I'd been hearing the same thing as everyone else -- that I'd go probably in the late first round or maybe early in the second," Clack said. "The teams that had picks down at the end of the first round -- Miami, Indiana, Houston, all of them -- they'd been telling us they were interested in me there. Those teams kept in contact with me after I went for (individual) workouts.

"I have no idea what happened. Maybe with all the trades going on and teams getting into other things, I just kind of slipped. That's something that goes on. It's destiny. It's really something you have no control over. But there's no use getting upset over it. Things worked out well for me. I can't complain about that.

"I'm comfortable with what I did in the workouts, and I did what I had to do in Phoenix."

The last reference is to the Nike Desert Classic, a postseason talent showcase for potential draftees. Clack was the Most Valuable Player there, averaging 13.7 points, 5.3 rebounds, two blocked shots and two steals. The numbers mirror his Texas stats, as he became just the second player in Big 12 history to record more than 200 career steals (239) and 100 blocks (101). Danny Manning was the other.

"I think my strengths are taking it to the basket and my running and jumping ability," Clack said. "I like to get after it on defense.

"As for weaknesses, consistency in shooting from the outside would probably be the main thing."

NOTES, QUOTES, ANECDOTES
Ron Mercer met with Rick Pitino and the discussion about a contract extension was not encouraging. Mercer appears to be seeking the maximum deal allowed, and the Celtics are talking about their budget.

The bottom line is that the club will be talking about trading Mercer with more vigor.

That stance has been helped along by Paul Pierce's performance at shooting guard in the L.A. Summer League. Granted, the competition is not at NBA level, but Pierce has proven to Pitino he can handle the position if Mercer is dealt for a forward.

The Celtics still have no regret at losing their first-round draft pick (with Andrew DeClercq for Vitaly Potapenko) even though Cleveland got valued point guard Andre Miller at No. 8.

"I like Andre Miller," said general manager Chris Wallace. "He's got the potential to be a starting point guard in this league. But he's not a big man.

"The main thing is that we did not miss on a guy who's going to be a great player. When you trade a draft pick, the thing you're always concerned about is that the guy you miss will become a superstar. There are very few guys who have a chance to fit that category in this draft.

"The way you have to look at it is that even if we had Andre Miller, we'd still need to go find us a Vitaly. And I don't know where we would find him over the next few drafts or with a salary cap slot or even a trade. There just aren't that many opportunities to get a starting NBA center."

QUOTE TO NOTE: "I was fine until I put six balls in the water on the last day." -- Rick Pitino on his disappointing performance in a celebrity golf tournament in Lake Tahoe.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL
Pitino has said he wants the Celtics to become older, but he's added that he won't change the roster simply for the sake of change.

That differs from when he arrived and said he needed different people to rid the club of the defeatist feeling that had developed -- particularly in the 15-win season that preceded him immediately.

The belief is that everyone but Paul Pierce may be available if the package is right. And with the Celtics holding attractive young talent, sources have said the club will get to field some very decent offers for the likes of Ron Mercer and Antoine Walker. Nothing much materialized on draft day. But now that teams will have time to assess their rosters (before trading begins again August 1), there is the chance talks could be rekindled.

DRAFT REVIEW: The Celtics did look at dealing their pick -- 55th overall -- but when they saw Kris Clack falling toward them, they could only hope he'd still be there. Mind you, no one is ordering a 17th championship banner or anything, but to find a player who fits their style that late in the draft was a pleasant surprise.

FREE AGENT UPDATE: Damon Jones did well as a late-season point guard pickup, and the Celts definitely will look to keep him around. Eric Riley can cement a place on the team if he shows Pitino he is willing to work hard this summer. Marlon Garnett is iffy at best for next season, having shown he is more of a shooting guard (at just 6-2) than a point. Bruce Bowen is iffy, as well, especially after Greg Minor came on near the end of the season.

ROTATION REVIEW: Starters -- Point guard Kenny Anderson (12.1 ppg, 5.7 apg); Off guard Ron Mercer (17.0 ppg); Small forward Paul Pierce (16.5 ppg, 1.71 spg, 6.4 rpg); Power forward Antoine Walker (18.7 ppg, 8.5 rpg); Center Vitaly Potapenko (10.8 ppg, 7.2 rpg with Celts). Bench -- Guard Dana Barros (9.3 ppg, 4.2 apg, 23.1 mpg); Guard Damon Jones (5.8 ppg); Guard-forward Greg Minor (4.9 ppg); Forward Popeye Jones (3.0 ppg); Forward Walter McCarty (5.7 ppg); Forward-center Tony Battie (6.7 ppg, 1.42 bpg); Center Eric Riley (2.2 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 9.6 mpg).

MEDICAL WATCH: Pervis Ellison (ankle surgery), Greg Minor (right hip fracture) and Popeye Jones

Josh Ozersky