The "triangle" at the Pyramid was more like a "trap-ezoid"

The Lakers' triangle offense was absolutely no match tonight against the C's
trap and final score reflected that fact: the C's were "all over it" in a 125
- 80 romp tonight to remain unbeaten in the Fila LA Summer league.

Where do I begin?

The first quarter was entertaining and actually approximated a regular season
game in terms of pace and scoring. The C's, who were ironically the home team
tonight in their white tops, started a lineup of Ollie, Bowen, Pierce,
Battie, and Potapenko. The Lakers countered with Sam Jacobson (last year's #1
out of Minnesota), John Celestand (this year's #2 out of Villanova), Travis
Knight, Ruben Patterson (last year's #2 out of the Cinn. Bearcats), and
Taymon Domzalski (who???) - a 6'10" kid out of Duke.

Bowen and Ollie each netted 11 early points and Pierce knocked down an early
trey. At the 5:38 mark, Jim O'Brien pulled his starters and substituted
Clack, Antoine Hyman, Wayne Turner, Bryant Smith, Eric Riley (Derrick Battie
didn't dress tonight). After 1 quarter, we still had a ball game with the C's
holding a 6 point lead, 29 - 23.

That was as close as it would ever get. the C's started the 2nd quarter on a
17 - 4 run at at the 7:00 minute mark it was 46 - 27. During that stretch,
the run was highlighted by 4 spectacular, explosive slams by Battie (9 points
in the quarter) that were keyed by the trap. Turner was terrific on "D"
during that stretch and you can see this kid's confidence growing and growing
with each passing game. His offense is still shaky (he seems to have a hitch
in his jump shot with a corkscrew-like release) but if he makes the squad it
will be on his "D" and as a  floor general.  Potapenko and Marlon Garnett
each chipped in 6 points in the second quarter. Griffin and Clack added 5
apiece in the quarter.

At the half, the C's held a commanding 64 - 38 lead. Battie tallied 11, VP 8,
Griffin 7, Clack, Bowen, and Garnett each with 6; Turner, Pierce, and Ollie
each with 5; Riley and Hyman had 2 apiece, and Smith had 1 for the 64 first
half points.

Same starting five for the 3rd quarter but Pierce went out after only 30
seconds with what appeared to be either a chipped tooth or he bite his tongue
but Griffin came in and made the most of his opportunity. He  went off with
some terrific offensive moves, including a spectacular cross-over drive to
his left for an easy layup with his left hand and added 7 points more in the
3rd quarter alone. Riley (yes Riley!) had a spectacular alley oop slam from
Turner on a beautiful feed from about 25 feet out as the 24 second clock was
winding down and then had another spectacular flush on a follow-up of a Paul
Pierce (with apologies to Sptguy33 and his contest last year to find a
nickname for Paul, how about a new one - Sweet Pea - since the C's also have
Popeye?) as he tallied 6 points himself in the third quarter. Pierce had a
highlight slam during the 3rd quarter as he took off from damn near the FT
line and elevated and elevated and elevated to throw down a monster, got
fouled, and made the FT to complete the 3-point play.

At the end of the 3rd quarter, it was 94 - 62 C's and the rout was on the
Laker fans were streaming to the exits en masse.

At the start of the 4th, the C's had Riley, Clack, Garnett, Bowen, and Bryant
Smith as their starters. Riley scored the first 5 points of the quarter,
including a three point play, Griffin added 5 more as did Clack while Bowen
and Garnett each chipped in 4 apiece during their extended stints.

Final score was 125 - 80 and according to my unofficial scoring this is how
it ended up:

Eight C's scored in double figures led by Griffin with 19; Battie and Riley
in limited minutes with 13 each; VP, Bowen, and Garnett each had 12; Clack
had 11; and Sweet Pea had 10.  Turner and Ollie each finished with 7 apiece,
and Smith added 5 to go with Hyman's 4 points.  Total: 125 points.

Other comments:

	I'm liking what I see from Griffin. He's got a very nice offensive
game and if Minor can be moved for a box of cracker jacks, Griffin can
definitely hold down that roster slot. Bowen and Clack can then fight it out
for the 3rd backup swingman position.

	Battie has to be re-signed. This kid is oozing with confidence now
that he's getting PT and is only going to get better and better.

	In my mind, there's a place on this team for Turner as the 3rd PG.
He's quick as a cat (no pun intended) and  quarterbacks the defense so much
better than what we've seen Anderson or Barros bring to he party.

	Mercer and McCarty were in the stands watching the C's game sitting
alongside of Master "P".

That's about it. I'm toying with going again tomorrow night to watch the C's
play the Clips but I fear it will be another blowout and I must confess I
OD'd today watching three straight games (Warriors - Mavs, Raptors - Blazers,
and C's - Lakers) so a break might be in order. If not, I'll try to attend
Sunday's game vs. the Grizzlies and give a summary of that one. BTW, I
believe Monday is the C's finale in this tournament against the Bucks and
then they head back to Boston for the tournament there starting July 25th???

Go C's !!!!