Celtics 125 - Lakers 80 : Live Report from L.A. (very long ..)

Celts Tap Pyramid* Power - Turn Lakers Into Mummies

Last night I had a dream - and in this dream - all NBA games are played under
a Big Blue Pyramid, in a balmy climate near a pacific ocean - and in this
dream, the Celtics always win - and win - and ……

Game Report : I hope this will be a good complement to CeltsSteve's excellent
report.  My Herald to his Globe coverage (or vs versa) ?

Tonight's game in Long Beach started off with the announcer's version of
"Lets get ready to rumble …", which for the Laker's squad should have been,
"Lets get ready to fumble …".

(The following isn't intended to be a play by play account as I can't write
notes that fast - so I focused on recording notable Celts plays, with
occasional remarks on Laker scores.  Also apologies for errors due to lack of
replays and up to date stats.)

The game got off to a slow start with the first points of the game being a
3-pointer by Paul Pierce after a little over two minutes had passed.  The two
teams traded baskets fairly evenly at first, with Kevin Ollie picking up a
quick couple of baskets after pushing the ball up the court with great speed.
 With the score at C's 8 - Lakers 4, Bruce Bowen made a long pass down court
for a stuff by Tony Battie.  Travis Knight had a jam of his own to make it
C's 10 - Lakers 8.  Then off a Pierce steal, VP scored over Travis.  Travis
retaliated with a baseline move and reverse dunk.

The Celts were active on defense again tonight, and Kris Clack made a heads
up deflection to head off a Laker's break.  The Lakers got the ball however
and Seth Sundberg showed off a nice shooting touch and scored 2.  (Sundberg
is a 7'1" 2nd year center listed as having played college ball at Hawaii.
Seemed reasonably mobile and coordinated with a nice touch around the basket.)

But in a play that hinted of the rout to come, Wayne Turner tossed an
alleyoop to Bruce Bowen (I've been telling you he's getting offensive!-) for
a basket and a 21 - 19 lead.  Followed shortly by steal and another Bruce B
basket. (23-19).  After Taymon Domzalski (easy for you to say ;-) scored a 2,
Adrian Griffin scored 2 FTs to make it C's by 25-21.  (Taymon Domzalski is
listed as a 6'10" rookie center from Duke.)  Seth Sundberg makes another
basket to bring the Lakers back to 27 - 23.  VP fumbles the ball a following
Celts possession for a turnover, but later Pierce dives for the ball with a
Laker player and it goes out of bounds off the Laker, to become the Celts
ball again.  To end the period, Paul made a nice pass to Bruce B for 2.

Score at the end of the 1st quarter : Celts 29 - Lakers 23.