Re: How about Detlef, y'all?

CeltsSteve@aol.com wrote:

> Interesting story about Detlef Schrempf's future in Seattle from today's
> Seattle Post-Intelligencer.  If the Sonics renounce their rights to him so
> they can get under the cap and in turn only offer him the NBA minimum of $1
> million based upon his number of years in the league, why not go after him
> with the $2 million exception slot? He'd be the perfect scorer off the bench
> to anchor the 2nd unit and even though he's 36, he's still got game!
>
> He'd be a wonderful, veteran addition to this young club!

If I were Detlef Schrempf I'd probably choose to sign with a championship-calibre
team like San Antonio. He would not start for the Celtics, nor would he be
thrilled at his age to play in the pressing unit. What a shame. There is no other
player in the league I'd rather have teach Antoine how to use his skills and play
the game well. In fact, all the Celts future stars IMO would profit greatly and
mature faster if they played alongside a cerebral veteran ballplayer like Detlef.

BTW, it's hard to believe that the most Detlef ever earned was 3.3 million per
year. I'm sure some playoff contender would at least be able and willing to match
his current salary. I think Greg Ode needs to start lobbying hard and pulling
every string he can with Detlef. That guy should have been a Boston Celtic all
along.

Joe