Baker's return to Seattle isn't a slam dunk

This Seattle Times article offers a little different slant. It mentions
Mercer...

DJessen33

<Posted at 07:40 a.m. PDT; Wednesday, July 7, 1999

Agent says Baker's return to Seattle isn't a slam dunk

by Nunyo Demasio
Seattle Times staff reporter
The Sonics intend to re-sign Vin Baker, and can offer him the most money
under the NBA's collective bargaining agreement. But re-signing the 6-foot-11
power forward won't be as simple as a layup.

"It's premature to assume he's going to return," Baker's agent, Aaron
Goodwin, said last night from Oakland, Calif. "He wants to return, but
there's some interest from other teams. And with everything that's going on
with the USA team, it's not something that he can sit down and just make a
decision right now."

Baker and Seattle teammate Gary Payton are in Orlando, training with the
national team for the July 14-25 Olympic qualifying tournament in Puerto
Rico.

To re-sign Baker, Seattle almost surely will have to offer the maximum salary
for a player in his seventh year: $87.5 million over seven years. Last
Thursday, teams were allowed to begin negotiating with free agents, and
General Manager Wally Walker reiterated to Goodwin his intention to re-sign
Baker.

"In Vin's mind, the numbers have already been established," said Goodwin,
whose client can't sign a contract until Aug. 1 because of NBA rules. "It's
the maximum number. Period."

Although Baker would prefer to return to Seattle, he has indicated being open
to playing for another team. Only three teams have significantly more
spending money than Seattle, and Baker could force Seattle's hand by
demanding a sign-and-trade deal.

The Boston Celtics reportedly have expressed interest in acquiring Baker
despite being over the $34 million salary cap. Boston is shopping shooting
guard Ron Mercer, who is in the last year of his contract and will demand the
maximum salary after it expires.

The Miami Heat also reportedly has inquired about getting Baker through a
sign-and-trade deal.

"We expect to sign Vin Baker and keep him in Seattle," Walker said. "I firmly
believe we'll reach an agreement simply because Vin is a man of his word, and
we'd like to have him back."

Baker said recently: "Of course, Seattle is my No. 1 choice. I have the
opportunity to win here for the rest of my career, and that's what I want to
do. But I'll cross that bridge when it comes."

Baker probably will be one of the last players Seattle re-signs because he is
a Larry Bird free agent. Under the Larry Bird Exception, Seattle can exceed
the salary cap to sign Baker. The Sonics are about $3.5 million under the
cap.

The Chicago Bulls, Los Angeles Clippers and Toronto Raptors have enough money
under the cap to sign Baker to a maximum contract. But under the new
collective bargaining agreement, Baker would have to take about $20 million
less if he switches to a new team.

"It all falls back on what does Vin want to do," Goodwin said, "and whether
or not the Sonics have any issues of re-signing Vin, and I don't think they
have any issues of re-signing Vin. So we should be able to work something
out."

Note

-- Seattle's summer mini-camp began yesterday, and will end on Friday. It
basically is an intense training camp for young Sonic players and free agents
who hope to gain a tryout next season.

They will form a Sonic team that plays eight games in the Los Angeles summer
league, which starts Saturday.